Alive and Breathing

Before I could even comprehend what was happening, Brendon had healed so quickly, the doctors said he could wake up at any moment now. I had become extremely reluctant to leave, wanting to be there with him when he woke up, but they wouldn't allow that. I was at Brendon's house, so I could prepare it for us to go back to living here after he woke up. I cleaned up his house for him, throwing out old food that had been sitting there the many months we were away and other housekeeping things.  

I suddenly woke one morning to the sound of my phone ringing. I groggily sat up and grabbed my phone, answering it without looking at the number. 

"Hello?" I croaked out. 

"Dallon, this is Ryan, from the hospital," he said and I immediately sat up, concerned about what he was going to say. "Brendon woke up in the middle of the night last night, I would have told you earlier, but we've been busy and he's been talking to his doctors."

"WHAT?!" I practically screamed. "I'll be over as soon as I can!"

"Wait, Dallon, bring Pete with you, he's been asking for him, and it will be better for you to have someone else here," Ryan said, just as I was about to hang up the call. 

"What do you mean?" I asked worriedly. 

"Just come over, you'll see," Ryan replied before ending the call. I was starting to get worried about Brendon. I quickly dialed Pete's number, and he picked up almost immediately. 

"Pete, I need you to get ready, Brendon woke up and apparently has been asking for you," I spoke, I wondered why Brendon didn't ask for me. Maybe he already knew I would be there as soon as I could. 

"Okay, Dal, I'm getting dressed, you go ahead and come on over," Pete replied. I dropped my phone on the bed as soon as the call ended and quickly got dressed. I ran out to Brendon's car and drove to the flower shop before heading to Pete's, I figured it would be a sweet, romantic gesture for him. I got him a beautiful bouquet of roses, and a card that said, 'Your beautiful man missed you, cutie'. I quickly stopped by Pete and Patrick's house, and Pete ran to the car and we made our way to the hospital. We both ran inside after I grabbed the flowers and began to run to Brendon's room, but we were stopped by Ryan before we could get there. 

"Guys, wait, there's something you have to know before you go in there," Ryan urged and we stared at him impatiently. "You might want to have a seat before you hear this, especially you, Dallon."

We sat down in the chairs sitting out in the hallway, both of us staring at him, waiting for the answer to our unspoken questions. 

"So, obviously, there was damage to his brain, and unfortunately, there was some memory loss, we aren't sure if he'll ever recover it, or all of it at least," Ryan started, the blood draining from my face. "From as far as we can tell, his memory extends to a little while after high school, maybe around his freshman year in college. We're going to try to do our best to help him regain his memory, and maybe you guys can too, but otherwise, there isn't too much we can help him with."

I broke, my heart completely shattered. Brendon didn't remember me, he didn't know who I was. I began to cry and sob uncontrollably. Pete embracing me into a tight hug. 

"I know, this is hard, boys, I'm so sorry about this. I would let you guys have your moment, but he really wants someone he knows to come talk to him in there, Pete. He has been asking for you repeatedly, wanting his best friend," Ryan whispered. "I can stay out here with Dallon, but he needs you right now, Pete."

I let go of Pete and he walked down to Brendon's room, a light smile coming across his face when he opened the door, "Hey, B, it's good to see you."

Ryan sat beside me awkwardly, and I suddenly latched myself onto him, sobbing into his shoulder. He stiffened a bit before slightly relaxing and awkwardly hugging me back. I was probably making him extremely uncomfortable, but I just needed a hug from someone, anyone, right now. 

"When Pete's done, I'll make sure you get to go spend time with him, you've spent all this time with him while he's been here. You sure as hell get to spend as much time as you want with him now," Ryan said softly, I just nodded my head. "Maybe the more time you spend with him, you could help him remember." 

I sat there, sobbing and crying out my pain, I would walk in there and see the love of my life, my best friend. He would see a stranger coming into his hospital room with a bouquet of roses. That's what hurt the most. 

After what felt like an eternity and millions of tears shed onto Ryan's shirt, Pete walked out of the room. He looked at me and said, "Go on in, Dal, go get your cutie back." 

 I forced a smile before wiping the tears off my face, I grabbed the bouquet and made my way to his room. I walked in and my eyes met his beautiful brown ones, I began to tear up again and a wide smile spread across my face, "I know you don't remember me, but I missed you, cutie. I brought you flowers, I hope it isn't weird for you, I was expecting this to be a different situation."

"I'm sorry," he whispered, his face was flushed bright red, probably because I called him 'cutie'. 

I laughed breathlessly, "You have nothing to be sorry for, cutie, it's not your fault."

He lightly smiled and gestured for me to come over, opening his arms when I reached him, "I may not know you, but if you are gonna bring me roses, and cry that much over me, then you at least deserve a hug."

I dropped the roses on the bed next to him, and gripped onto him as tightly as I could. I, once again, started crying, I didn't know how I had any more tears left in me, "You don't know how much I missed you, cutie, I was here with you everyday, I was so worried."

We just sat there, holding onto each other, when Brendon laughed, "This is one way to meet someone, I don't even know your name and here you are, sobbing into my shoulder."

I lightly laughed and pulled away, "My name is Dallon, Dallon Weekes."

"It's nice to meet you, Dallon," he smiled. 

A.N.

HERE'S MY TATTOO! MY MOM AND I WERE GOING TO GET IT TOGETHER AND WE WANTED THE PANIC! SYMBOL BECAUSE WE HAD THE BEST NIGHT OF OUR LIFE AT OUR PANIC! CONCERT. BUT SHE PASSED AWAY AND I GOT IT FOR HER

ALSO I'VE STARTED ANOTHER STORY, SO HOPEFULLY I'LL HAVE SOME PARTS WRITTEN BY THE TIME THIS IS DONE