Chapter 3 (The Truth)

Song: A whole new world - Adele

I don't know why but it seems curiosity gets the better of me, sometimes. I know my mom well, if she wasn't my mom then she will be my best friend but

(It's about your mother)

Those words drew my attention and I found myself listening him.

"What...what do you know about my mother", even though he still looks like the strange stalker, he somehow seems serious about it.

"There is a lot you don't know about her" he said "And I am here to make sure you do. Please" he said gesturing for me to sit down.

Somehow I found myself sitting down to listen to him.

Really Sophia, are you out of your mind, this guy is stalker, he obviously found some information about her that was kept private.

"Believe me, I'm not one of those" he said

Did he just read my mind. Ok this is getting really weird

I looked at him, trying to understand what was going on.
"Telepathic, I can read minds" he said smiling as though it was a rare gift that needed to be given an award.

A part of me actually considered it rare because it's not everyday you run into someone who reads minds, the other part considered it to be the act of a psychologist.
"Ok, you should probably not..." I said. There are a lot of things that move through my mind and I think I'd prefer it to be private.

"I'm sorry, am not able to control it sometimes" he said. Why do I feel that he is trying to be complimented. I mean I don't even know who this guy is and he is sitting on chair and feeling good about reading minds, even though I thought it was awesome.

"Your mom, am sorry, we were supposed to talk about her". He said

"Yes, please" I said, very anxious to know what this guy knew about my mother.

"Sarah was one of our bravest, she once took on by herself a whole army of lyrice" he started

"Lyrice?" I asked, wondering how this could mean anything significant.

"Yes, they are corrupted relics who only seek power. Their leader is even more ruthless than you can imagine, calls himself Cain." I was stunned by how he could actually make up such a story and still keep a straight face, I could try but end up giving it away but not him. But I was more shocked at myself for sitting still to listen to him.

"He is skilled in deception and can manipulate fire and lighting", OK that's it. I got up from where I was sitting and walked to my desk where I had dropped the book.

He must have felt like I got up from listening to him speak about crap, so he raised his voice as he continued

"For a hundred years, he disguised himself as one of us, just for the purpose of finding that...", he said now pointing to the book in my hand.

Before I could say anything, he continued,
"...the book holds powers unimaginable even to a relic"
I stopped him before he could say anything else. He must be one of those pranksters and thinks he can get money out of me. I decided to play, just to show him in the end that it wasn't really a prank if I knew all along.

"Ok then, tell me this, why is it here with me, if this book is what you say it is, why is it with me?"

"Because you are the chosen one"

"Excuse me". I said not expecting such an answer.

"After your mom passed, the book must have chosen you as its next owner"

"Ok pause, let me get this straight, a book, that is over a hundred years old, chose me to guard it against the lyrice god who calls himself Cain; is that all or am I missing something" I said finally giving up.
"Well, just that any other lyrice who gets their hands on it will be able to destroy everything". I blinked. Not just once, not twice, not three times before I struggled to say something.

"Ummm..." I was totally out of words to say. I might have started out by trying to play by his rules and surprise him in the end but it was getting odd and I didn't plan to start my day like this.
"...Ok, since am not well informed, why don't you take it".

I walked close to him and shoved the book toward him but he just backed away from me. "What's wrong?", I asked.

"Well, I cant", he said
"Can't or won't?" I replied angrily. I was getting tired of this and wish he would just go.
"Look, I'm sorry ok. I wish I could but I can't. The book kills any relic who gets a hold of it and who isn't chosen by it".

Was it just me or was there a flash of regret in his eyes. It felt like he was ready to take it but couldn't because of something. I brought the book back to myself and starred at it.

Something felt right about what he was saying. If I want to match what I saw from touching his ring and what he is saying now, I would be saying he was telling the truth.

I changed the direction of my eyes from the book to him.
He ignored the 'try me' eyes I was giving him and continued telling the story.

"The lyrice use an enchanted ring, more like this one" he said raising up his right arm. I noticed the same ring my mother had. "That's why they are able to hold it. Otherwise, no relic except the chosen one can."

"How about humans, can they..." before I could finish he cut me off.
"No, humans can't see it". He said putting a hand on the couch.

"So I am supposed to believe that I am this thing's guardian", I said raising the book up. He was about to speak but he stopped when I raised my hand up. "I don't know what kind of game you are playing here". I said trying to act tough.

"Look, I know you don't trust me but I am not lying about this". He said defensively.

"My mom was never anything you describe her to be. She was always so sweet and caring". I said remembering how we used to play together in the park.

"I believe she didn't want this for you" he said. Then suddenly the door opened revealing Cassy, Sophia's client.

"Cassy" I said surprised to see her. I thought the meeting was supposed to be by 11:00, I looked at my watch to see 11:15. I must have forgotten what time it was. I could not start my work like this.

"Am sorry, did I come at a bad time" she said.

"Oh no, please sit, this is Dwyane, Dwyane this is Cassy". As I said that I immediately remembered that he was dead and I was talking to a ghost.
But I was more shocked to see Cassy actually shaking him and introducing herself.

Maybe he wasn't lying after, that he was alive and not dead. But could he possibly be lying about the story.

************************************

Oh, so Dwyane didn't get killed by the accident and Sophia is beginning to discover a whole new world

Don't forget to vote
:)