Chapter 18 (The End)

Abdul appeared in Dwayne’s apartment in a flash. He was so fast that I didn't notice him till he was inside.
He started scattering the room, turning chairs over and knocking things over looking for the book.

"Looking for this?" I said.
When he heard my voice, he stopped what he was doing and turned around to face me.

"Give it to me." He said.

"See that's the thing, I thought you were going to protect it."

"I am. Now hand it over."

"I don't think so. Try to be more sincere about it next time. And if you are thinking about taking the book, you would have to go through me."

I said standing my ground.
Next thing I knew, I was in the air and the book slipping out from my hand. I couldn’t see him clearly, all I could see was a blur. It was right in front of me moving 5x faster than my eyes could move an inch. But before it was able to reach for the book, I jumped.

I landed on the statue of liberty, right inside the torch that was held up by the statue.

I laid on my back wondering how I got there. Even though I was able to do it frequently, there was still a couple of bugs I needed to understand. Like why here? Why not where Dwayne was? Or where I knew I could hide the book without Abdul finding it.

As I looked around the place, taking in the view of the city from the height. It was a view to remember. The book started to glow, releasing power from every glow. The light was blinding but for some reason I didn't need to cover my eyes.

It felt like I was learning something, something secret and special. The more light shown on my face the more my intellect was upgraded.
I was forced to look away from the thus resulting in the demise of the glow as Abdul showed up. I don't know how he found me but he must have had to run for some time before he found where I was.

"You know, the first time I read the book, I saw something that caught my attention and I wrote it down. It said 'only the chosen can end it'. I didn't understand it then but I think I do now." I said.

"Wait, you don't know what you are doing Sophia. That book can give you anything you want, anything at all." He said but failing in his attempt to persuade me.

"That's funny, because I swear Cain said that opposite. He was hell-bent on the idea that the chosen has all the power."

"The book messed with his mind Sophia, just like it's messing with yours."

"If it gets to stop all of this, then it was worth it. Destroying it is my only option." I said. My voice lower than before.

"Worth it? You would be killing a lot of people Sophia, that's what it means. Destroying the book means ending all life it has produced." Abdul said. His voice increasing as an helicopter flies just above us.

"If your want a blackout then just destroy the power grid." I said in full realisation.

"Exactly.  But if you give it to me, we can become a new power grid. One that brings light to everything. Relics and Lyrice."

"But there is only one problem," my voice calm and relaxed as I reply him.

"You have been under Cain for a long time now. I didn't know this but the book showed it to me, the other person in the room after Cain killed my mom was you, wasn't it. I think I'll know when someone is trying to get the upper hand by deceit. You are no light Abdul, I'm sorry."

As I said that, the book erupted in blue flames right on my hand. I dropped it on the floor so it could continue burning.

I looked at Abdul's face, and I saw that he was shocked because he just stood there watching the flames devour what was left of the book.
His eyes rose to mine. Anger and fear coursed through them.

He was definitely not happy about it.

"What have you done Sophia, you've killed us all..." Before he could say another word, the book started glowing again and we both stared at it.

It was getting brighter and brighter and brighter. As I turned my head back to where Abdul was standing, I found out he was gone. The light from the book was now burning into my skin, as I couldn’t take it any longer, I jumped.

**********************************

I appeared where I once left Dwayne and I found him on the floor along with some other Lyrice.

I searched around for Duni and Cole but found the bodies in a bile forming situation. Duni was hanging from an iron pole. The pole stuck out through her abdomen, the color of her blood staining the pole.

Cole's hands and head were sticking out a car so I thought it wasn't as bad as Duni's until his upper half fell off to the asphalt. I covered my mouth but it was to late, bile had formed up and was already in my mouth. Next thing I know, I'm throwing up.

The place was a blood bath, bodies scattered everywhere motionless.
I ran over to Dwayne.

"Dwayne, please stay with me, please, you can't do this, you... you can't die. Wake up, Dwyane wake up... please." I was hitting him slightly then his head suddenly rose up and he was mumbling. Out of shock, I slapped him.

He groaned in pain.

"My God, am so sorry." I said cupping my mouth.
He didn't respond. He struggled to sit up. I could tell he was in a lot of pain.

"Where's Abdul?" He asked

"I don't know" I answered softly.

"And the book? Did you..."

Before he could finish what he was saying the wave from the explosion arrived and hit everyone of us and passed on. I thought I was going to feel something traumatic but I didn't. I turned around and I saw everyone disappearing like pixels, even Duni and Cole. I turned my eyes back to Dwyane.

"Sophia what did you do?" He asked.

"What I felt was right" I replied.

"It's ok. I'm proud of who you turned out to be. And I'm sure your mom would be too."

"I'm so sorry dad." I said as drops of tear roll down my eyes.

"It's lovely hearing you call me that."
Suddenly Abdul came crashing into different things as he tried to keep up with his speed but crashed into a car and laid down on the asphalt.

"You did this Sophia. You have released the powers of the book into the earth, and now you must..."

Before he finished speaking he was gone. I turned my eyes towards Dwyane and found him already disappearing.

"No...no...no..."

"It's ok Sophia. Find your mom, tell her I tried."

With that he was gone.
I couldn’t hold myself anymore, as tears began to gush out of my eyes.