Chapter 16 (Rescuing Dwayne)

I could think of Dwayne as a friend now but it was harder for me to believe that he was my father. I was going to need a lot of convincing to allow that information sink in.

Before we left, Duni and Cole had decided that my abilities were not one to control in just a few minutes, powers like mine would require months of rigorous training and patience to be able to master, so we all decided if I was going to die, I would have to go down fighting.

“We can’t just be hiding here; we need to get over there and save him.” I said.

We had arrived at the spot Cain wanted to meet, and were hiding a few distance away, just enough that he wouldn’t notice. I saw Dwayne strung up with a rope tied to his wrist and was hanging from a pole. His feet weren’t touching the ground.

“You amateurs without a plan, always thinking you can win through brute force.” Duni said. She was smirking and staring at the crowd ahead.

“There is no time for a plan.”

“The girl is right.” Cole said.

It was the first time I heard him speak. His voice was cool and the same time icy. Considering his powers, no one would have expected anything less. Suddenly, guys in black suit started showing up around us, and before long we were surrounded.

“How did they find us?” Duni asked to which none of us respond.

  “Still don’t think we should fight our way out there.” I said

“No, this is great, instead of wasting energy now, we’ll just let them take us to the demon himself. And that is when he strike.” She replied raising up her hands in surrender. I turned and saw Cole doing the same so I refrained from my attacking stance and surrendered. Before long we were in front of Cain and Dwayne.

“I see you brought friends.” Cain said. His voice sounded like Larry’s but I knew it wasn’t him; Larry was dead as far as I was concerned. His back was facing my direction as he spook.

“Let Dwayne go.” I spook out

“Umm, let me think about it.” Pause. “No.”

“You want the book don’t you, that’s why you always kept an eye on me.”

Cain laughed. His laugh was the same but had a devilish snare to it. I was irritated by it and most importantly by him.

“You wrong Sophia; you see I have been chasing after the wrong thing for a long time.” Cain said after he turned to face me.

“What does that mean?”

“It means you are the key, Sophia. You see I found out the book doesn’t give life to anything, it’s just a book. But the person who is in control of the book has everything; all the power he could ever want. He could be a god.”

“Is that what you wanted when you killed my mother?”

“Your mom was an intelligent and beautiful woman, without a care in the world.”

Pause.

“After I figured it out, that is, the reason why we relics get to have just one ability while you guys thrive in the joy of possessing more, I met with her and asked if she knew anything about it. Do you know what she said to me? She said she’s very thankful that I didn’t become the next chosen one. Do you know how much it hurt to hear her say something like that?”

“Yeah well, you deserved it.”

“I know. I should have seen she wasn’t in love with me anymore and just taken the book from her.”