Chapter 9 (Stranger Things)

"Strange" he repeated, then he took a sip from his cup. His eyes were just fixated on mine. "How so?" he asked.

"Well, at first, it was just complete darkness, but little by little light began to shine, then I noticed the same thing that happened to me in the restaurant earlier on, you know, my hand becoming two and stuff..." I said describing as I spoke, He just nodded acknowledging what I was saying.

"But that wasn't the scary part of it. The same thing that happened to my arm, happened to my whole body." We had moved from the kitchen now to the living room, and we were now sitting on a couch with the cup of tea in our hands.

He didn't look surprised as he listening to my story, he either drank his tea and starred at me or drank his tea with his eyes closed and starred at me.

I ignored him and kept on telling my story. "After all of that, my body was normal, and then it began to fade away, I mean literary fade away, until I wasn't there anymore. But soon it came back and I could see my fingers again, which by the way felt really great, I thought I had died." I looked at him now and realized why he wasn't saying anything. I was talking to fast, and he didn't want to interrupt. But I didn't care, I kept on talking.

"Oh, then came the really big one. The moment my body was brought back to the void, the darkness, the light, everything vanished and was replaced with fire." He burrowed his eyebrows in a way that he looked concerned. I may be getting to him now. Or it could be the way I was moving my arms towards him as I explained it.

"And it wasn't just any type of fire, this fire was blue"
"You had blue flames?" He asked.
"Yeah, I mean, I didn't have it, it just surrounded me. But the fact is that I didn't get burnt, at all. Isn't that strange?"

He didn't say anything. He got up and was walking away, but I stopped him by grabbing his shirt. He stopped then turned to look at me.
"Did my mother have any of these abilities?" I asked him. I wanted him to answer my questions and not just ignore them. He only lowered his head as if he was not trying to think about it.

"Answer me. What do you know about her?" I asked again, but this time, my voice became lighter and instead of demanding it felt like I was begging him. I wanted to know, but he wouldn't tell me. He just kept keeping me in the dark which was the least thing I loved.

"Your mother would have loved the woman you grew up to be. She never wanted you to experience any of this." He wasn't facing me anymore; he just looked towards the door. "She was a wonderful woman." He paused then turned to face me. "Stay here ok, I going to get us something to eat, I can't keep drinking tea all day." His lips formed into a fake smile. Then he pulled my hands from his shirt and walked out the door, leaving me alone in his apartment.

He did it again. Why does he keep doing that? Can't he just answer a direct question without replacing it with silence or an entirely new sentence that had nothing to do the original question? Men are immature. Coming out as strong and dreamy but later showing their self as careless and immature. I felt like ripping out his head from the rest of his body but I realized he wouldn't be worth it.

As I kept on pondering on my thoughts, my phone rang.
"Sophia, oh thank goodness, where are you?" It was Abdul. He must have been worried about me. We made a deal to keep in touch with each other and it must have been like what four five hours, he definitely was worried about me.

"Um..., Abdul, sorry I....uh" I couldn't tell him where I was, because well, how would he believe. A moment ago, I was in New York and now, am in Brazil. Of course, he wouldn't believe me, hell I won't believe him. So I came up with another approach. A very simple yet can get addictive approach. To lie.

"I...decided to live early today...am sorry I didn't tell you, I just didn't want you to worry"
"Ok, well, you failed there. I'm worried. I'm coming over."
"No!" I said almost immediately.
"You don't have to do that, I went out of town but will be back soon."
"Why, is everything ok? Is it a family matter?" The moment he said that, I realized how the lie should be delivered and decided to flow with it.

"Yeah, it is. Um...Dwayne was hosting an event in Africa and he wanted me to come. It was a spark in the moment thing and he had already arranged a flight for me that was leaving at that moment, so I had no other choice."

"Really Sophia, that sucked in every way, you know how I would love to get to know him."
"I'm sorry Abdul, I didn't have time to make any decisions."
"I know, I just feel I like you should have told me, you know. But anyway, let me leave you to it. But you this, when you get back here, you are going to give me every dainty detail"
"I wouldn't have it any other way."

I said then hanged up the phone. It went far better than I expected, the only problem now is that I had to make up a story for Abdul when I got back.

I had to get back, I couldn't stay here any longer. Being locked up in a room didn't feel like me. I went straight for the door and tried to yank it open, but it wouldn't budge. Then I saw a window open. My first instincts where to climb off, but after seeing how high we were without any window steps, I decided not to.

I felt a strong desire to do the same thing that Dwayne did to bring me here. I didn't know why I thought about it, but it felt right. So I closed my eyes, and envisioned home. And just like in the void, my body began to fade away, until nothing.

Only moments later, there I was, in my living room in New York. I was surprised to see myself in my home, I couldn't believe it. So I ran towards the door, swung it open and saw Larry sitting by his metal drums, he was going by his normal day. While I was having a strange day.