Chapter 15 (Gone)

I knew there was one thing left to do, as much as I didn't want to; I had to find Dwayne. He was the only one and the very first name that popped into my head after my mom left. I needed to let him know.

But I wasn't even sure if he cared, I did run away from his place. And since he stayed in Brazil, there was absolutely no way I would been able to leave except I jumped. And since I did, he decided to cut loose.

But he is my father, so the least he could do was come looking, but he never came, not in ten years. And even when he came back, he didn't come as a father but instead he came as a being, a strange being that could enter the minds of others. I wanted a dad, a mom, a family but instead, I was greeted by history manifesting in the present.

As thoughts of the earlier happenings ran to and fro in the mind, I sat on the arm chair of my couch staring into space. Taking all of it at once was really huge for my brain to process. I pondered long and hard about the fact that Dwayne was indeed my father, my mom could be alive and that we all as a family could create a nuclear disaster.

Then suddenly, reality hit me and I remembered that I gave the address of Dwayne's home to Larry. Perhaps that was why he wasn't looking for me. Larry must have done something to him, since Larry isn't Larry but Larry is Cain. And Cain is the person that Dwayne had been telling me about.

I jumped up from where I sat and immediately jumped back to the street I remembered close to Dwayne's house in Brazil after focusing hard on it. Although it may seem easy, I was still new to all of it.

When I got to the door of Dwayne's apartment, I saw it had forced open. I ignored the door and stepped inside coming to a full view of the mess in the once lovely home. By the looks of it, I could definitely say there was a fight here, but I couldn't really tell when.

I couldn't still believe Larry could do something like this, the thought kept on taunting me as I walked through the mess.

"Hello", I called out

"Is anyone here?"

"Dwayne."

Still no reply, I quietly moved through the room taking in the broken walls, shattered tables, broken plates and mugs, chairs turned upside down and curtains pulled from their post. It was unbelievable. Suddenly, my phone began to ring, and when looked at it, I saw Larry's name on it. I stopped in my tracks and just stared at the phone contemplating whether or not to answer it.

Then I decided to answer after the third ring.

"Hey Sophia, so the new Thor movie in the cinemas, how about you and me check it out."

A date.

Is this guy really serious, he is asking me out after I just found out that he was the one who killed my mother?

How can he be so relaxed knowing the person on the other line might already know who he is?

"Hello, Sophia can you hear me?"

"No." I replied angrily.

"Which is it, no you can't hear me or no you are not going. Please let it be the first."

"Both."

"Both? I mean its Thor, You said you loved Thor..."

"No!!!" I screamed into the phone.

"Ok ok, No Thor. Is everything alright with you, you seem tense."

"Where's Dwayne?"

"Who now"

"You know who am talking about Cain. Where is he?"

"Cain,"

He laughed a little and it felt different from the way it usually sounds. It scared me.

"That's a lovely nickname but I don't think it fits me, see the last one you gave me has quite the..."

I didn't let him finish before I interrupted. "Stop all this nonsense Cain, where is Dwayne?"

"I don't know who this Dwayne guy is ok?"

"Yes you do Cain. I told you about him that night. The creepy dude I said to not do anything to, guess what, I'm in his apartment and the whole place is trashed. Where is he?"

"Again I don't know."

"Enough with the jokes Cain, tell me where he is and I will give you what you want."

There was a long pause at the other end.

"Well, I guess there is no point denying now, is there? The boy is here, and we are having so much fun."

"Cain, if you lay one more finger on him I..."

"Will what? Huh, what will you do princess," He interrupted and I couldn't say anything. This is the real Cain who had been hiding in sheep clothing and staying close to me all this time.

"That's right, I thought so. Now you already know how this is going to go, bring me what I seek and your beloved doesn't get to die. Do we have a deal Sophia?"

His voice was full of evil and sounded deep and demanding. If I never wanted to reply him, my lips wouldn't want to move. So I was quiet.

"I'll take that as a yes. See you Sophia." Then the line went dead.

I was filled with anger. He held Dwayne captive and I could not even say anything to him. I was angry at myself for bein frozen to a spot. As I lowered my hand, I immediately dashed for the door, but stopped in my tracks as I noticed the door opened and two figures standing by the entrance.

My hands moved before my brain could decide what to do and a ball of blue flames was headed their way. Before it could hit them, the taller figure already got in a defensive position. He had white hair and light blue eyes, and he looked as if he was been swallowed up by his shirt. He stretched out his hands and welcomed the flame but it went from being a flaming ball to an ice ball in seconds.

The ball dropped to the floor and shattered into many pieces. He reframed from his defensive stance and just stared at me. I on the other hand was shocked to see a blue flame come out from my hands that I just kept staring at them.

"Well, that's one way to introduce yourself." The girl figure spoke and I immediately stretched out my hand again threatening to attack. The guy was ready to defend anytime I released another flame.

"Wow, let's all just calm down, ok. We are friends of Dwayne." She said
I slowly dropped my hands and stared angrily.

"I don't have time for this, I'm sorry" I said then started walking toward the door. She blocked my path and replied.

"I think you should, Dwayne said to help you when he couldn't."

"And that's what you should be doing. He is Cain's prisoner and we need to get him out."

"We will. But first you need to learn how to control your abilities."

I groaned loudly. "Not this again. Look, we have no time for this, ok." I said then pushed past her and was headed out.

"Hey!!" she shouted at me and I stopped. "Do you think we don't want to get Dwayne out of the hands of that demon. But we can't, not without you. That's why you need to learn."

"I have learnt." I said in defense.

"Mistakenly throwing a fireball at your opponent doesn't count as learning." She paused. "Dwayne needs you to get better at it, if not, facing Cain by yourself now would only result in your death."

I stood still and relaxed myself.

"Where do we start?"

"First of all, I'm Duni and my cold friend here is Cole."