Chapter 13 (LIMBO)

She sent him to me. That means everything he was saying about her was true. She was a Relic, with unbelievable powers, and now, so was I.

She stretched out her hand and cupped my face, pulling herself down to the floor where I sat.

“Listen, what am about to show you is true, and you are going to see it through my eyes.” She then placed both of her thumbs on my forehead. I was still, not knowing what to say. I had expected that she would deny it, but her accepting it came as a big slap on my face from reality. This was my life now.

“Mom, you are really….” I couldn’t finish speaking before she interrupted me.

“Just trust me” Was what she said. Then she placed her hands on mine. Slowly my eyes began to close, I was able to see her close hers just before it went dark. It took a few seconds but when I opened my eyes, I saw a little girl in front of me. Then I realized it was me.

She was showing me the past, through her eyes. Was it about me? I looked around and took in the homely environment. It had been ten years but I could still remember what leaving in a home left like.

I’m going to show you what happened to me, the reason I am not with you now. At first I thought it was Dwayne talking but I realized it was her. Maybe that was why she sent him, because they both had the same mind-reading ability.

Sarah’s pov

“Sarah” A voice called out, making me turn. That was when I saw him. Dwayne.

“How is she?” he said coming closer.

“She made her first jump yesterday; I don’t know what to tell her.” I was rattled, and disturbed. I rested both of her elbows on the kitchen table, letting her hair fall down covering her face.

“It’s ok”

“No it’s not. I don’t want this life for her. She’s just a little kid.” I said turning to face him, then her. We were both quiet for some time, watching as she did her assignments.

“We have to figure something out. It won’t be long before Cain finds her.” Dwayne said.

“I’m not going to let anyone touch her.” I said with determination in my words.

“Sarah, if her powers are already showing up, it won’t be long before she figures out that she’s different from other people.” He said a bit worried.

I turned to him, my eyes are burning into his own, and I knew he felt the anger radiating for me because he stopped talking and just relaxed. I turned back to face Sophia, and I saw her body trying to jump again.

Everything went dark again, it took a few seconds before my eyes opened up again and a saw Dwayne in front of me, and he was worried, very worried.

“Sarah, Cain and the others are coming, allies from Asia confirmed it. They are heading this way.” He said following me throughout the house.

“Sarah, come on, we can leave Sophia in an orphanage or something but we can’t let him get the book.” He continued which made me turn and look at him surprised.

“Dwayne, listen to me, there is no way I’m leaving our daughter in the hands of some lady to face these challenges by herself. She’s just a kid.” I said and watched his face change to surprise.

“What?” he asked

“She’s your daughter too. I was going to tell you. The test only came back recently” I said as I watched his eyes turn from that of surprise to pain. It took him a while before he was a able to speak again.

“OK, have you thought about slowing down her powers, it may be subdued now but am not sure for how long it will stay that way.” He said finally.

“Yes, yes, that could work. We can use a bracelet or a neck chain as a vessel. But she would have to have it on her always.”

“Sarah listen, it requires an immense amount of energy to subdue another person’s powers, one that you don’t even have” He said

“I don’t care how much energy I use, if it saves my little girl, I will do it.”

“Sarah it will kill you.” He said with a worried face

“No it won’t” I said. Then I held his hands in mine. “Listen, I need you to go to my home in New York and wait for me ok.”

“No” He said shaking his head. “I can’t just leave you or Sophia here.”

“Yes you can, and you will.” I said cupping his face now. “When Sophia is old enough, tell her everything.” 

I said then placed a soft kiss on his cheek before pushing him into a portal I had opened that lead straight to New York, one that prevents you from coming back.

I starred at the space he was before I pushed him then turned to Sophia who was using are her phone and had her earphones plugged in. There was a vibration within my body and the next thing I knew, I was looking at two other of myself. Then I began talking to the one on the right.

“You know what to do.” I said and she nodded, then I turned to the one on the left and said “Take care of our daughter.” She also nodded.

Then my vision switched to the one on the right and I watched as the original disappeared. I then walked towards the book and opened it to a page. On the top of the page wrote Limbo.

I formed a sign with my hands then gave a go ahead to the other me.

Suddenly, my hands started shining brightly and I saw Sophia grasping onto her stomach in pain, she screamed out for me and my other self rushed out to calm her down.

By the time my hands stopped glowing, it felt like I was being pulling from my inside. The book was pulling me into it and I couldn’t resist, if I did, it would kill me and find another person to replace me.

That was the consequence of performing a Limbo spell. So I just went along with it. My vision was then transferred to my final self who sat alongside Sophia.

“My stomach hurts so much, mom” Sophia said groaning in pain.

“I know dear, but it’s going to be ok. I’m going to tell you what I do every time I’m experiencing a pain like this, I think of eating something delicious.” I said then noticed that my other self was no more. I felt a bit weak.

“Really mom?” she asked and I nodded. She then closed her eyes, smiling a little just before opening them again.

“Does it still hurt?” I asked her and she shook her head. “See, what did I tell you.” I raised her right hand then inserted a silver bracelet I got to dampen her powers.

“If you wear this always, you won’t have a stomach pain like this again.” She starred at me curiously, shifting her eyes from mine to the bracelet then back. Then I pulled her closer and gave her a tight hug.

Then immediately someone barged into the house and my vision moved to the fifteen year old Sophia and I watched as my mom carried me up the stairs and hid me in a secret compartment in my room that I didn't even know about and went back down to deal with the intruder.

I kept hearing noises of furniture or glass breaking, so I decided to take a peak. I came out from hiding and opened the door slightly. As I peeked from the door, I saw the same person from my dreams only this time I realized who he was. Larry.

He stood over my dead mother’s body ordering someone to find the book and me. I immediately moved away from the hole and held my mouth to stop any sound from coming out as tears rushed down my face.

I knew who it was, the person who killed my mom. He was hiding close by all this time. Right under my nose, acting like a friend. I hated him.