Chapter 17 (Abdul)

Clapping his hands, he came out of his hiding place. Had he been watching all this time? Was he part of Cain’s blood group? Had he been spying on me too?

“Wow, I had tried so many times to put a guy down. But you did good Sophia.” Abdul said. He had a wide grin on his face.

What. What was he talking about? Had he been trying to kill Cain? But he shouldn’t even know about him, what is going on with everyone I know? First – My mom not being who I thought she was and having to lie about who my father is. Second – My best friend who counsels me after a long day at work happens to be the one who killed my mom, and now my best friend at work, who helped me cope with my client problems, is standing in front of me and talking about putting a guy down.

“Abdul, what are you doing here?”

“Well am sure by now you already know.”

“The book?” I asked.

“That’s right Sophia, give it to me.” He dipped is hands into his pockets, and had an emotionless face, one that was hard to read.

“Abdul, have you been spying on me too?” I asked not wanting to believe he was a relic or worse a lyrice.

“What no. God no. I have been watching over you, trying to protect you however best I can. Just give the book to me.”

“Abdul, you…” before I could finish speaking, he was in front of me. 

I didn’t see him jump, so either I took my eyes away from him while we were talking or he ran towards me.
I held my breath as he was suddenly in front of me. I couldn’t believe the speed he used to get from there to here. Abdul was definitely a relic.

“You… you… you…,” I stammered staggering backwards but he stopped me by placing both hands on my shoulders.

“Sophia, I can help keep it safe for you, no one will ever find it, no one except the both of us. Your mother trusted me with this task but you will have to trust me.”

“Abdul are a…” I started saying but he interrupted me.

“No no. I’m your best friend Sophia, I still am. Please let me help you.”

With Abdul’s eyes burning into mine and his hands digging into mine, I slowly reached into my pocket and brought out the keys to Dwayne’s apartment. I was about to hand them over to Abdul when Dwayne showed up screaming my name.

“Sophia! No don’t give it to him.” He was still in a lot of pain.

“Dwayne, “I relied, my eyes already soggy. “I’m sorry, he is my best friend.”

“I know, but he was the one who delivered me to Cain, please don’t give him the one things he wants.”

My hands slowly dropped and I turned to look at Abdul. The scar on his reminded me of what happened.

“Abdul, what happened to your face?” I asked rushing over to meet him and inspecting the large bruises on his face.

“Well, I got into a fight last night with some taxi guy, he was a really big fella” he said standing still as I explored his bruised face.

“Now what did I tell you about getting into fights?”

“In my defense, he started it.” He said raising his hand defensively.

“And you had to end it”

“Eh, well if you put it that way, it means I won.”

“And of course you didn’t.” I was now looking at him with serious eyes and my hands were folded just below my chest.

“Hey, I did say he was a big fella. You should have seen him, he looked like that really tall guy in the wrestling match we normally watch, expect he drives a taxi.” I just kept staring at him with one of my eyebrow lifted up.