Chapter 15 - Awakening

-2 months later-

Kiera's POV (what's this?)

The last thing I remember before this darkness was Kai's worried face looking at me as he ran for our lives away from the Felinity. That was a long time ago now.

I have no real concept of time in this dark void of nothingness except for the company of Kai and Antonia.

They talk to me everyday, keeping me updated with the world outside the void. I long to talk back to them, but I can't seem to be able to move, talk or see at all.

After what seems like an eternity of endlessly drifting in and out of consciousness, I began to regain the feeling in my limbs.

At first I wasn't sure if I was hallucinating it but after a few minutes or hours (it was hard to tell), I could feel cool air and the fabric of the bed on my fingers.

Using as much will power as I could summon, I managed to make my finger twitch, just a little, but to me it was a triumph, I was getting back in control of my body.

Without having to strain myself as hard this time, I managed to make my finger twitch again, a larger twitch than the first. I heard a gasp come from beside me. Antonia must've been keeping me company.

"OMG KAI! GET YO ASS IN HERE RIGHT NOW!" I heard Antonia yell.

I then heard the frantic thumps of footsteps sprinting to wherever I am. I heard the door swing open and heavy breathing.

"What! What's happened? Is she dead? Did her heart fail?! TELL ME!" Kai frantically yelled.

"Dude! Calm down! No she didn't die! I saw her finger twitch!" Antonia yelled in reply.

"Are you sure you weren't seeing things?" Kai asked Antonia, clearly suspicious.

"Kiera, if you can hear me, please make your finger twitch again" Antonia said to me.

I made 2 of my fingers twitch this time, and I heard them both gasp.

I felt the bed dip down a bit and a warm hand interlock with mine. Kai.

Slowly, summoning a lot of power, I managed to slowly close my fingers around his and I felt something wet drop onto my cheek.

Was he...crying? Since when did Kai cry?

"I'll leave you alone for a while Kai ok?" I heard Antonia whisper, but I knew she wanted to stay to be with me. I heard the door click shut and footsteps gradually fading away.

I could hear Kai's shaky breaths as he gently stroked my hair, which felt really nice. A tear rolled down my cheek as I desperately wanted to comfort him but I'm stuck in this void of darkness.

"Kiera....I have no idea if you can hear me or not...but if you can...p-please come back, I m-miss you" Kai shakily said to me, pulling at my heart strings.

Then he did something I didn't know he could do. He started to sing.

"Your hand fits in mine

Like it's made just for me

But bear this in mind

It was meant to be

And I'm joining up the dots with the freckles on your cheeks

And it all makes sense to me" he sung. How did he know this is my favourite song? And his singing voice, it's heavenly!

"I know you've never loved

The crinkles by your eyes

When you smile