thirteen.

Hyde walks into the kitchen where I sit at the bench and Eric is making a sandwich. "Morning." I smile and earn a kiss on the lips from Hyde. "How was your sleep?"

He yawns and sits next to me. "I enjoyed it until you left."

"Oh, Hyde, get this." Eric interrupts our conversation. "Casey just came by to pick up Donna and he was out in the street just revving his Trans Am real loud and then he peels out in the street and he started doing doughnuts. And then, out comes Donna, all smiling and, like, looking at him." Eric speaks like it's a disgusting thing to do.

"What a slut!" Hyde sarcastically gasps.

"Look. If she wants to date him, that's fine. But he doesn't have to be all loud and jerky about it." Eric growls. "Jerky, loud, doughnut jerk."

"Oh, guess what, boys and Erin." Kitty smiles as she walks into the room followed by Red. "I entered the big wiener contest at the Piggly Wiggly. And I won a year's supply of all-beef hot dogs! I'm a wiener winner! Well, anyway, we're having a barbecue."

"No, Kitty! I thought we were going to talk about that." Red grumps.

"Mm-hmm. Oh, and I saw Donna at the grocery store and she said she's bringing her friend Casey."

"What?" Eric exclaims. "No. I hate Casey. He's Donna's new boyfriend. Y...You have to uninvite him. Dad, tell her."

"Kitty, you've done a horrible thing. It could scar the boy for life. Now, let's do the right thing and cancel that barbecue."

"No. We're having it, and it'll be fun. And... we just...We won't give Casey any relish." Kitty giggles.

"All right! Once Casey finds out he's not getting any relish, he'll dump
Donna for sure." Hyde nods.

"You are so screwed." I reply.

---

"So your mom invited Casey over for hot dogs? Well that's a plump, juicy all-beef burn." Fez says once he's caught up in the stupid drama.

"Ah, it's just typical women stuff. Like Jackie kissing that guy." Hyde hits him on the arm. "Ow! Hyde!"

"Yeah. Okay? I've decided if anyone brings up any more stupid girl stuff I'm gonna throw something at 'em. This time, I threw a fist." He smiles at me proud.

"I'm sorry. It's just everything reminds me." Kelso pouts. "Like, last night Rocky was on and I was thinking I'm like Rocky and Jackie is Apollo Creed. And she bashed in my face by kissing that guy! At least Rocky wins in the end."

"Kelso, Rocky loses." Hyde and I speak in unison.

"Oh, yeah? Well, why is he jumping around all happy?"

"Because he goes the distance, fool." Fez shakes his head.

"He loses the fight, but he wins in life." Eric nods.

"Who wants to watch a movie with a message like that?" Hyde scoffs but immediately jumps up when he hears the familiar tune outside. "Ice-cream man!" And he leaves.

"You guys, I've been thinking about Donna. And I..." Hyde throws a magazine at Eric.

"This time I threw a magazine." Hyde smiles.

"No, guys, seriously. This barbecue might work out in my favor. You see, Donna's only seen Casey around his smelly, tattooed Molly Hatchet-lovin' friends. But when he comes to the barbecue, he'll be around us... good, clean-lovin' Americans. And the comparison will not be kind to him."