Mission 12: Thunder and Lightning

Your POV

I was flinging things into my bag that Laurance had scattered all over the guest room earlier this morning. Since it was the end of the day, Laurance was letting me leave, as promised.

I flung my bag over my shoulder and walked out of the guest room to see him spread out on the couch with the TV on in the living room.

I crept up behind him and looked at what was on the screen.

"Crazy thunder storms and rain will be occurring tonight at 7:00pm, and it is said to be one of the biggest we've had in a while..."

I stopped listening and froze after I heard the words 'thunder storms'. Laurance turned around to see my scared expression.

"Hey, you okay?" His voice snapped me out of my daze.

"What time is it?"

"7:26, why?" he answered and tilted his head.

I dropped my bag and ran to his floor-to-ceiling windows. It was pouring outside; I don't know how I didn't notice before.

Ever since that day, I was terrified of thunder storms. Every time that I saw lighting crash, every time thunder roared, my memories came flooding back.

I stared at the rain until I saw a huge flash of lightening and, shortly after, a huge bang. My legs felt weak and they started to shake, along with the rest of my body.

The faces of my parents' lifeless bodies behind the windshield that I so helplessly banged on appeared in front of me. My mother's terrifying, dead eyes shot open before she muttered words that were the only things that shook me to the very core.

"Why, (Y/n)? Why didn't you save us..?!'

Those words played over and over in my head. I fell to the floor, my mind going blank. More thunder crashed outside, and that only made it worse.

Laurance's POV

"(Y/n)!" I shook her and kept calling her name, but there was no reply.

Her face had paled like she had just seen a ghost. I felt something wet drip onto my arm. There were now tears spilling down her face.

Thunder crashed loudly again. She snapped her hands over her ears and shut her eyes tightly.

'Was she scared of thunder storms?'

I picked her up off the floor and brought her to my room. I laid her on the bed.

I closed the door and shut the blinds. That seemed to calm her down a bit. Thunder crashed again, but it was muffled now, and you couldn't see outside, but she was still shaking.

I sat beside her on the bed.

"(Y/n)? What's wrong?" I asked as gently as I could. Maybe if she told me, I could make it better.

"I-I... I'm terrified of storms." She mumbled. She had stopped crying.

"Why?" She looked down at the floor.

"My parents died in one... they bring back things I don't want to remember."

'Things you don't want to remember... Yeah, I got a couple of those.'