𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢. 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐬𝐤𝐲

𝙨𝙤𝙣𝙜𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙬𝙚 𝙨𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙮 𝙝𝙞𝙙𝙙𝙚𝙣 𝙘𝙞𝙩𝙞𝙯𝙚𝙣𝙨 𝙛𝙩. 𝙨𝙫𝙧𝙘𝙞𝙣𝙖
❛ 𝘸𝘩𝘺 𝘪𝘴 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘴𝘰 𝘰𝘣𝘴𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘣𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘦𝘴𝘵? ❜

"You'll vanish, forced to sleep in eternal darkness."

Rogue seemed to be about to walk away, proud of the fact that he had defeated the infuriating phoenix slayer. What he didn't notice was the grin on Rose's face.

"I've heard that Natsu's absorbed an element which wasn't his..."

Shadows began to stream up the arm she was using to push herself up. The phoenix slayer breathed steadily, an unnaturally calm look in her eyes.

"I'm sure that I can do the same."

The shadows she was absorbing writhed and attempted to escape, but she seemed to be adamant about using them. The process seemed rather painful for the girl – she breathed deeply, and the air misted slightly as she did so. It was clear that absorbing an element completely different to her own took a toll on the phoenix slayer. Still, she managed to force herself off the ground. Slowly, painfully, lethargically – but she did it. The girl had to bow her head for a moment as the effects of what she had done began to show.

"What have you done?" Rogue demanded as he backed away from the phoenix slayer.

She suddenly seemed far more sinister than she was previously.

A chill ran down his spine. He'd rather leave to avoid fighting her in this form, but he couldn't afford to let the phoenix slayer live – she would interfere with his plans.

The darkness she had absorbed now emanated from her form, heavy and stifling like a storm about to break. Flames roared to life at her heels, fighting fiercely against the darkness which was not a part of her. The elements weren't going to get along, but eventually, the fire took on a different colour – charcoal black.

"You should leave, spirit," Rose breathed out slowly, before straightening her back to look him in the eye. "I don't have much control over this form. I might end up accidentally killing Rogue, and I'm pretty sure Skie wouldn't appreciate that." (A/N: Totally not a reference to 'The Star Dragon Slayer' by blxeskies-! Y'all should go check it out!)

"You... you want me to leave Rogue?" "I've been telling you that for a while now," Rose scoffed. "Don't tell me you're too stupid to understand something so simple."

"I'm not leaving," Rogue growled. "I'm going to finish you off, and then I'm going to free this world! Your precious friends don't stand a chance – especially Gajeel! I'm going to destroy all of you!"

"You've got a serious inferiority complex," Rose stated in a deadpan tone. "Honestly. Why is everyone so obsessed with being the best?"

Rogue paused, caught unguarded by her sudden comment.

"I mean, earlier you said Gajeel and I joined Fairy Tail or whatever we were lonely – I'm only speaking for myself when I say this, but to be honest for me it was more out of selfishness than anything." Rogue stared at the phoenix slayer as she threw her hands into the air exasperatedly. "Really. Being in the same area as me is like a death wish. It would only end badly."

Rogue seemed to be trying to pull his thoughts together. "What do you mean?"

Rose didn't answer. Dark markings which resembled flames swirled across her skin and the edges of her face. Her iris slowly darkened to black, ringed with fiery crimson around the pupil – despite the sudden changes, her expression remained unchanged. Blood trickled from the corner of her mouth, leaving a red trail going down her chin.