𝐱𝐥𝐢. 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 {𝐮𝐧𝐞𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐝}

𝙨𝙤𝙣𝙜: 𝙘𝙧𝙖𝙙𝙡𝙚𝙨 𝙗𝙮 𝙨𝙪𝙗 𝙪𝙧𝙗𝙖𝙣
❛ ... ❜

The phoenix landed in the nest, a strange red object dangling from her beak. The bird's wings fluttered as she folded them back, her sharp amber eyes falling on the figure of Rose.

"I see you are feeling better, child."

Rose's eyes widened as she realised the phoenix could speak. She was shocked- she knew that the dragons could communicate with people, but she had never met a phoenix before.

"Do not be afraid. I am Felliora."

"I... I-I'm Rose..." The dark-haired child stuttered nervously, still unsure about how she was supposed to interact with a phoenix. Her eyes remained on the phoenix's.

"A wonderful name."

Felliora dipped her head so that she was at eye-level with the child. The item in her beak was revealed to be a crimson red scarf, which fluttered in response to her movements.

"Take it,"

The phoenix dropped the scarf on the girl's head. Along with the scarf was a bundle of dark clothing, which the child fumbled to catch. She realised that it was a dark skirt, and a long-sleeved shirt accompanied by dark brown leather boots.

"Your clothes are torn. Use these instead."

Rose nodded, dumbfounded, but she didn't forget the manners that her mother had drilled into her. "Thank you..."

"Be careful with the scarf. It was woven from my feathers. It is a powerful item which will prove useful to you."

Rose gazed at the phoenix, feeling slightly more comfortable around the being once she realised that she wasn't going to try and kill her. She fiddled with her hands, her gaze trailing to the scarf and clothing. The girl couldn't help but wonder where the phoenix had gotten the clothes from.

For a moment, an image of the phoenix attempting to shop in a human town flickered through the child's mind. She was forced to douse her laughter before she could begin, earning what resembled a confused tilt of the head from the phoenix.

"Um... I'm sorry if this seems ungrateful... but why are you doing this for me? I don't have anything to give you..."

Felliora let out a melodic trill which seemed to be a phoenix's version of a laugh.

"You are quite amusing, young one."

The phoenix rose back to her original height, the dying sun's rays dancing across her feathers enchantingly.

"I wish to train you."

Rose's eyes were wide with awe. "Train... me?"

Felliora bobbed her head up and down in a nod.

"Yes. I shall take you beneath my wing, and teach you the art of Phoenix Slaying."

The girl hugged the clothes Felliora had given her close to her chest. Conflicting emotions flooded her mind. How would phoenix slaying benefit her? Shouldn't she simply return to the human villages?