Chapter 5

We run down the back alleyways of New York. Avoiding the photographers along the streets.

When we finally reach my house I grab my key and unlock the door. It's a simple suburban home, it may look like a loving family home from the outside, but from the inside it was bare and empty. My parents were never home much, always choosing work over me. But that's okay that's how I liked it. It was much better than when they came home.

I stepped through the house and motioned them in after me. "Sit anywhere you want, I'm gonna go get my books." I said breaking the heavy silence and throwing my bag on the floor next to the door.

"And I'm coming too." Selena piped up.

"Wh-" she pulled me down the hall into my room and slammed the door behind us.

"What's up Lena?"

"James Freaking Holland is in your house, and your not freaking out the tiniest little bit!" She held up her hand and squished her thumb and index finger together, to show her point.

"No. He's just a human being." I shrug and grab my books.

She grabs my arm almost causing me to drop my books. "A FAMOUS human being. He's on the top list in L.A. And he's starring in a new movie this year! How are you not shocked at all, this is- I have no words!" She huffed, storming out of the room before me.

I roll my eyes and follow closing the door behind me.

----------------------------------------------
We all sit on the floor around the table, spreading out the work in front of us. Selena heads to the kitchen to grab some snacks, when she calls to me.

"Alison... there's nothing in your cabinets..." She looks over her shoulder at me with a frown on her face. She knew I had family problems, she just didn't know to what extent these were.

James threw a curious look towards me and I blushed. I jumped up, "I'll check them again, you might of missed them." I rushed towards the kitchen and checked the cabinets finally finding some crackers, I searched in the fridge, finding some cheese and ham. I brought them back to the table and sat them down. Mumbling about a shopping trip I forgot to do.

After a lengthy awkward silence we started on the project.

"I was thinking we could buy one of those test kits online that tells us where we come from based on our DNA." I wrote down the idea, trying not to forget it. "What other options do we have?"

Selena spoke next, "We could ask our parents."

I wrote that down too, even though that wasn't an option for me.

"Do you have one James?" We both look to him and wait. He blushes.

"Not really, those are the only two ways I can think of doing it too. Though I think the DNA test would give us more accurate results, so if Selena is cool with that?" He sent a curious gaze over to her.

My friend went into over drive, losing her cool facade quickly. "I-I'm- Th-That's c-cool with me..." She mumbled blushing.

"Who's up for a shopping trip and then some coffee?" I asked breaking the affect James has on my best friend.

She blinked and shook her head. "Definitely me."

He smiled at me. "I could go for one."

I found myself shaking my head too.

We headed out I grabbed my key and my wallet, I had some pocket cash from my job I worked on weekends at the movie theater. I had enough to cover this coffee break, I guessed and jogged out the door to catch up with them.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
Sorry for the long wait, school's keeping me busy. But, comment what you think happens next and await on the edge of your seat for the next chapter!
Vote, comment, and like.
ARK