Chapter 9

As promised, after school I was dragged to the hospital. And when I say dragged I mean quite literally. I told them I had changed my mind, I couldn't afford it if I wanted to eat again this week. But they didn't give up and I was afraid that if I didn't James would pick me up fireman style to get me there.
     Why does that idea make me smile?
     Gah! Stop it.
     I sat in the back seat, pouting I admit. I was hoping they'd feel bad for me and let me out the car. But no luck.
     School had already been a crazy day. Did I really need this? No. Of course I knew they were just doing this for me but they didn't know I was having money trouble and I was too embarrassed to tell, why should I have too, it's not their problem. It's mine. You'd think with my parents working all the time I'd have a ton of money but nope, they never "wasted it on me."
     The car stopped at the E.R. Lena and James got out and help me out. I had to admit I was grateful they were dragging me here because I wouldn't have come myself and my ankle was killing me now.
     I had signed in and was called back in no time. They came in with me, Lena said that if they didn't I might find a way to escape, to her credit she knew me down to the bone. I would have.
     I sat on the crinkle paper while they whispered in the corner. After a few minutes it really got on my nerves.            "What are you two talking about?"
     "About how stubborn you are." Lena threw at me.
     "I'm coming over there!"
     There was a knock and the door opened. "Sit back down. No need to run  just because I'm a doctor."
     We laugh at the joke, mine strangled because it's true. I hate doctors. Well not the people the idea really, blood, pain... A shiver ran the length of my back.
     She pulled up a stool. "What do we have here?" She looks at the chart. "Which ankle is it honey?"
     "The right one ma'am."
     "Oh don't call me ma'am, you make me sound so old. Call me Dr. Lisa."
     "Alright."
     She motioned for my ankle and prodded it with her finger just like James did. She asked me to bend it up and down. I only went halfway before wincing in pain again.
     "Sprained ankle. It looks like you can walk in it but you have to be careful. I'd like to get some x-rays. We will do a whole body scan. It's protocol for patients who haven't been here for a couple of years." She smile and shakes my hand before leaving.
      I decide to lay back on the cot. I was tired and they didn't want to include me in their conversation. Just as I was drifting off James spoke up. If it wasn't so close I might not have been so started.
      My eyes sprung open and I launched up. I almost fell of the cot when he caught me and wrapped his arms around my waist. I blushed and looked around the room anything but in his blue eyes. "Where's Lena?"
     "She left for the bathroom a while ago."
     "I came to wake you up. Someone came in with a robe for you to change into, said you have to put it on and hit the button beside the door when your done."
     I looked next to me and saw the robe. And then I began to focus on his arms wrapped around me. I realized I felt warm. It had become cold over the past month and being here felt so right. I didn't want to move. I looked into his eyes and saw the deep intensity of the blue. It was like I fell into the ocean but I didn't ever want to come out again.
     The door opened. Lena came in, "Hey I got you a piece of bacon bef-" she stopped talking mid way through her sentence.
     James cleared his throat and backed up away from me. The warmth disappearing as if it wasn't even there in the first place.
     "James go. Now." Lena threatens. "Stand outside."
      James was smart enough not to argue. Though I knew what was coming and I wanted to grab James arm and hold on for dear life. But he already left.
Well crap.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~
Vote comment and like!
Question: Who likes where this is going/ where do you honk it should go? Any ideas?

A.R.K