Eight

Eight

HINDI NAMIN NAMALAYAN dalawa ni Harry ang oras. When we headed out of Karlos' Coffee shop, the sun is slowly sinking back into the horizons, casting beautiful orange and yellow rays down the street.

We talked. A lot. I know Harry isn't the quite type of a guy. Palagi niyang kausap si Dad o di kaya si Mommy sa tuwing nadadatnan ko siya sa aming sala. In times when I caught glimpse of Ate Annie and Harry, they are either arguing about a mathematical concept or just making out.

"Uuwi ka na ba?" tanong niya sa akin habang nagliligpit siya ng mga gamit. I couldn't deny the disappointment that started to linger inside of my chest knowing that we're going to separate anytime sooner.

I shrugged. "I don't know." Sagot ko sa kaniya. I want to talk to him more. Pero baka kung ano naman ang kaniyang isipin kapag ako mismo ang nagyaya sa kaniya na manatili pa dito.

Harry raised an eyebrow at me. "Got a date tonight?" he teased.

I rolled my eyes at him. "No, I don't. I just don't know where to go after this."

Hindi niya ako sinagot. Once all of this things are inside his bag, I pulled myself up and followed him out of the coffee shop. Mabibilis ang kaniyang hakbang kaya naman halos patakbo ang aking ginawang paglakad para lamang makasabay sa kaniya.

When we reached the front steps, he suddenly stopped. Good thing I slowed my pace a bit otherwise I would bump into his massive chest.

"Hey. . ." he turned to me. "Wanna go for a ride?"

I hesitated for a second. "I thought you don't have a car?" I asked instead.

"Well, technically, I really don't. It's my sister's. But I get to borrow it sometimes when she's not using it."

"Really? Where is she right now?"

"Davao Oriental." Sagot niya. I didn't even agree to his offer but I found myself tailing Harry to the parking lot. He didn't need to ask me again if I want a ride because obviously, we both knew the answer.

We pulled out of the parking lot and Harry turned on the music. "So, how do we celebrate your birthday?" He asked out loud.

I chuckled. "I think we've celebrated it just a while ago in the coffee shop, Harry."

"What?" He cocked an eyebrow at me. "That's not a celebration, Mary Grace. Do you mind if I take you somewhere?"

"I hope you are not a serial killer and this is not the scene where the gullible protagonist puts herself in danger. After three years of visiting my sister in the house, I think it's safe to say that you're a good guy."

He laughed at me. "Of course," Then he sped down the road.

"I NEVER KNEW there is a place like this," I said, stepping out of the car the moment the engine died down. Lumabas din si Harry at sinundan ako. "It looks like a scene ripped straight from an anime movie." Komento ko pa.

"From Up on Poppy Hill?"

"Oh," I said, surprised. "You're watching Studio Ghibli movies?"

"Who wouldn't?" He shoved his hands deep into the front pockets of his pants. "They're awesome."

"Well, my friends think they're for kids."

"Better than Disney."

"Yes, better than Disney."

Harry handed me a beer in can. We silently watched the pulsating lights of the little town up on the hill. The silence that should be awkward is surprisingly comfortable to me. When I am with Jeremy, we're always doing something. It's either watching movies, having sex, smoking pot, or playing board games.