Forty-Five

Forty-Five

"Do you want to talk about it?" Harry asked softly.

Suminghot ako tapos marahang iniling ang ulo ko. He stared at me for a long time before he nodded in defeat. My hands were wrapped around my arms as I numbly strode through the neighborhood.

I couldn't be any more grateful for Harry's companion. Tahimik lang siya habang nakasakay kami ng taxi hanggang sa bumaba kami sa gate ng subdivision. He was the one who suggested I talk a short walk to clear my mind off things.

I exhaled a deep breath as our house came into view. I'm sure as hell I still looked like a mess right now and I could only hope na wala pa sina Mommy at Daddy sa bahay.

"Well," I came into a halt and turned towards Harry. I smile sadly at him. "Dito nalang ako,"

He nodded his head again and cupped my cheeks then he leaned in closer to kiss my forehead. Napapikit ako. Somehow, the feel of his warm lips against my cold forehead soothed me. My mind finally went quiet.

"Be good, eat a lot, and go to sleep early." He murmured against my skin. Then he pulled away. "You badly need it. And don't worry about this night. If you think you can't survive, all you need to do is call me, okay?"

Tumango ako habang pinipilit na pigilan ang pagpatak ng mga luha ko. I swallowed and bid goodbye as I mindlessly walked towards our house. I quickly wiped the tears away when I heard muffled laughters from inside the house. The door suddenly burst open, revealing Tito Emile. He smiled at me. He must've noticed that my face are streaked with ruined mascara and tears but decided not to say a thing about it.

"Your parents are waiting for you inside," He announced.

I frowned, trying to compose myself. Then I suddenly remembered that today is my parent's wedding anniversary. I nodded at him and continued walking towards the front porch.

"I'm a veterinarian, not a psychologist. But I can see that you're fucked up right now," napahinto ako sa sinabi ni Tito Emile. My hands went to my face unconsciously. Do I really look that bad right now? "I suggest you take the back door and wash yourself first. If you show up to your parents looking like that, I'm sure mag-aalala lang sila."

"Thank you." I murmured and backed away, heading towards the back part of the house where the kitchen door is located. Sumilip ako bago pumasok. Kaagad akong dumiretso sa sink at nanghilamos. I could hear several voices from the living room. Someone suddenly entered the kitchen.

"Oh, Mary Grace, hello." Rania bounced brightly as she clutched her swollen tummy. "I was hoping you'd come home sooner. Look, we have a lot to cook."

I observed the large bag of groceries and some vegetables laid carelessly on the kitchen countertop. "I suggested to cook instead of ordering food," Wika niya. "Your parents deserve a nice homecook meal."

I nodded my head again and cleared my throat. "Can I help?"

"Of course," She beamed. "I'm making curry. Would you mind cutting the vegetables for me?"

Tango lang ang isinagot ko. I need to keep my mind off things. Inilagay ko ang bag ko sa lamesa. I rolled up my sleeves and started helping Rania in the kitchen. My grandfather peeked into the kitchen to watch us for a while then rejoined the other relatives in the living room. Even Tito Alistair walked like a beauty queen inside the kitchen, laughing like an idiot, obviously drunk.

Nagkuwentuhan kami ni Rania habang nagluluto. If she noticed that I'm not in the mood because of my clipped tone and short answers, she didn't seem to mind it. My parents walked in the kitchen as well and praised me for helping out instead of locking myself inside the room as per usual.