Forty

Forty

I woke up feeling like a shit, and maybe even looking like one. Para akong binubog. I even thought I tasted sand in my throat. I find it hard to breathe or even move my body. I tried to go back to sleep but I couldn't. When I finally opened my eyes, it took me a few seconds to finally adjust to my surroundings and the blinding light.

I looked around. The room is at least twice larger than our living room with white walls, white bed sheets, a small white sofa pushed against the corner, a white elegant door towards the bathroom or a closet, and a white side table. I must think that the only thing sticking out like a sore thumb inside this huge room is me and my ratty black clothes.

Tumayo ako mula sa pagkakahiga. I could hear muffled voices from behind the door. The last thing I remembered is Harry trying to calm me down and the next is a series of blurred events that doesn't make any sense to me so I guess I passed out.

Dahan-dahan kong binuksan ang pintuan. The voices faded. Wala na ring tao paglabas ko ng kwarto. I decided I must be on the second or their floor of their mansion when I spotted the enormous stairs. I looked around for Harry. There's no sign of him.

"Looking for Harry?"

I jumped a little at the voice who startled me. I turned around and found his sister. Her pink hair is tied back into a messy bun and she's wearing flannel pajamas. She sipped on her steaming mug of coffee as she darted her gaze on me.

I nodded my head.

"He's down the kitchen, probably making something for you,"

"Ah, can you please tell me what time is it?" I asked, which sounded stupid because I don't see her wearing a watch or carrying a phone with her. The image of my growling Dad just suddenly appeared inside of my mind.

"5 in the morning, I think." She said.

I groaned inside. When Dad finds out about my little detour I'm sure as hell he'll try to tie me on my bed next time to prevent me from escaping the house again.

"Thanks," I mumbled and tried to step back into the bedroom when she spoke up again.

"So... are you and Harry, are like, dating?"

Nilingon ko siya. Nakasandal lang siya sa pader habang iniinom ang kape niya. She just emerged from the room next to me so I suppose that's her bedroom or Clarisse's.

I shifted uncomfortably on my feet. "Uhm..." I haven't really thought about it. Harry and I are not in a relationship, I think. But we're not friends anymore. We're somewhere between that, I thought inwardly.

She waved her hands in front of her face, her eyes lighting up in amusement. "Oh, forget it. Teenagers nowadays hardly even know the difference of a relationship and mutual attraction." A sly smile appeared on her lips.

I suddenly regreted why I came out of the room in the first place. When I first met his sister, she was so drunk she could not even form a comprehensive sentence. But eventually she'd told my parents that I went with Harry to the northermost part of the Philippines the next day. I'd say she's got a sharp memory for a drunkard.

"My little brother and his uncontrolled hormones," She shook her head and tsk-ed. Sumimangot kaagad ako. "I still remember when he first brought Anna-"

"Annie." I corrected.

"Yes, Anna Belle—" She grinned to continue annoying me. "—here. That girl is so full of herself! Gad, babbling science and all that shits. I hate it when a girl acts tough in front of everyone to fill her pathetic ego."