Forty-Four

Forty-Four

So this is what it feels like flying in the cloud nine, I thought inside of my head as Harry held my hand habang papasok kami sa engineering building. I resisted to threw my arms over him ang ihatid niya ako sa room ko.

"I'll see you later," He pinched my nose and before I could even react, gave his back to me and waved.

I sighed contentedly and plopped down in my seat. For the past few weeks Roxanne had been nothing but a good friend to me which makes me wonder, Kamusta na kaya sina Mariah at Danielle? I haven't heard from them since I went to Mavulis Island with Harry.

I admit I felt guilty. They were with me all the time and I ditched them for Harry. Napabuntong-hininga ako. I started reading my textbook mindlessly.

Roxanne suddenly entered the classroom with all her glory and brightness. She smiled widely at me and immediately occupied the seat next to me. Habang hinihintay pa namin si Prof. Galera ay nagkuwentuhan kaming dalawa.

---

All throughout the day I looked forward to meeting Harry so it seriously disappointed me when he sent me a text message that he'd be thirty minutes late. Mauna nalang daw ako sa ice cream parlor. Fortunately for me, the bodyguard is gone. I talked my way out with my parents, saying I don't need it anymore. Pumayag naman si Dad nang malaman niyang pumapasok ako sa klase but he still didn't had a clue that I'm already dating Harry and most of the time, it's my main reason of attending classes.

I was halfway to the ice cream parlor when I spotted two familiar figures by the sidewalk. My face immediately brightened up when I realized that it's Danielle and Mariah. I ran towards them, wondering what brough them here but came into a halt when I noticed that something is wrong. Mariah's face is a mess. She'd been crying while Danielle tried to comfort her.

"Mariah... Danielle?" Both of their heads snapped towards my direction as I approached them.

Before I could open my mouth again, Mariah glared at me and marched towards my direction. Napahinto ako. Before I could even say anything, her hand flew across my face it left my cheeks burning painfully with the impact.

"Malandi ka!" She screamed and tried to pull my hair but Danielle stopped her. Napaatras ako mula sa kanya, trying to dodge her claws.

Mariah is still screaming curses at me, earning looks from people around. I stared at her, dumbfounded. She must've lost at least 15 pounds the last time I saw her. And she doesn't really look good either. It looks like she spent the last few weeks crying her eyes out and making her life miserable. I must've looked exactly like her even before Harry came into my life.

"What are you talking about?" I asked calmly.

"You really want to know what the fuck I'm talking about?!" Galit niyang singhal sa akin. I looked at Danielle, my eyes searching but she averted her gaze as if she can't bear seeing me too. I swallowed. Hurt bled across my face, throbbing painfully inside of me.

I took a step towards them but they immediately backed away as if I had a terrible and contagious disease. "What's going on?" I asked desperately, blinking back the tears that are forming in my eyes. The last time we got into this kind of argument was when Mariah aborted her baby.

"Go ask yourself, you whore!" Mariah started screaming again. "Do you know what you have done to Jeremy?!"

My throat constricted. Suddenly, it feels like I'm trying to swallow a glass dahil hindi kaagad ako nakasagot. Tiningnan ko ulit si Danielle. I gave her a desperate look.

"Well, he was miserable in jail." She started. "When we visited him all he could talk about is you, Mary Grace. Clearly, he's still suffering from the shock of losing you."

I swallowed hard. "And?" My voice is barely audible.

"And he wants you back to the point that he refuse to eat anymore. He just wanted to rot in jail. Dinala siya sa hospital kanina and he doesn't look good."

Napayuko ako. I had no idea it would cause this much damage to Jeremy. But then again, he hurt me. I don't intend to get into a relationship with him again after he...after what he did to me.

"Mariah, it's not my fault Jeremy is acting like an asshole. At hindi niyo alam kung anong nangyari—"

"Not your fault?!" She tried attacking me again but Danielle was quick to held her back in her arms. Napaatras ulit ako. There were blood in her eyes. "Goddamn it, Mary Grace! You don't know how much I sacrificed for you!"

"What...What do you mean?" Suddenly I felt so dizzy. I wanted to sit and calm down and be anywhere but here. Multiple things are running inside of my mind at the same time.

"Mariah," Danielle said in a warning tone. Obviously, something is going on that I don't know about.

"Let her know! Who the fuck cares? This bitch clearly don't give a damn about us because she's busy spreading her legs for Harry!"

Napakuyom ang mga kamao ko sa sinabi niya but I kept my mouth shut. I know it's the anger that provokes her to say these things to me.

"What? It isn't true? Mary Grace, you ungrateful brat! I gave up Jeremy for you!" She screamed again.

Nanghina ako sa narinig. Immediately my tightly-clenched fists relaxed. "What?" I gave her a confused look na mas lalo lang nagpa-irita sa kanya.

"He was the one who told me to abort the baby. He said he couldn't lose you. He said he wanted to be with you for as long as he can. He killed his own child for you!"

Para akong nabingi sa sinabi niya. She kept on screaming but I couldn't make out her words anymore. Mariah... Jeremy... abort?

"Does this makes sense to you now?! While you are busy whoring out with Harry, Jeremy is suffering—"

Before she could continue her words, I took a step and slapped her hard. Tears started streaming down my face in anger.

"You've been cheating with my boyfriend behind my back?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Ex-boyfriend." She snarled, tears escaping from her eyes as well. "Clearly, Jeremy doesn't deserve someone as rotten as you."

Nagdilim na ang paningin ko. I tried to pulled her hair but Danielle shoved me away, giving me a disgusted look. Before I could compose myself again, a strong pair of arms pulled me up. I turned around and saw Harry with a worried look on his face.

"What's going on here?"

"Itanong mo sa malandi mong nobya!" Mariah shouted back. "Hindi na ba talaga kayo nahiya? For God's sake, Mary Grace boyfriend yan ng ate mo!"

"Wala na si Annie." Harry said calmly. "I think there's nothing wrong about it."

She spat. "Nandidiri ako sa inyo!" The girl had a lot of nerve to say that to me.

I saw Harry clenched his fists. He tensed up as if trying to control his anger. The two gave us a death look before they started walking away, Mariah sobbing loudly while Danielle tried to comfort her. When they were finally out of earshot, I collapsed on my knees.

Harry was quick to support me, lifting me up slowly. I leaned on his chest, crying silently as I took in the deep pain.

"Ssh... It's okay, Mary Grace." Harry cooed.

His voice made me cried harder. I sobbed against his chest as Mariah's little revelation danced around my head. If it weren't for Harry's support I must've fell into the ground, curl up, and cried my heart out the whole afternoon.