Two

Two

I groaned when the sunlight hit my face, blinding my eyes for a moment. While struggling to get out of the bed, I remind myself to close the blinds of the window tonight before I go to sleep. Gusto ko kasing sariwang hangin ang pumapasok sa kwarto but suffered with the harsh rays of sunlight in the morning.

I pulled down the blinds and my room finally dimmed. I heaved a sigh and headed straight to the mini fridge pushed against the corner of the wall. When I first arrived here, I was forced to stay in lodge with dysfunctional aircon, so I'm always sweating like a pig during the afternoon.

Good thing Grand Ida transferred me to this room in exchange for my services in the cafe. This is one of the rooms specifically built for tourists but I stayed here permanently and Nilo, her nephew never failed to remind it to me everyday at work especially when he's pissed.

I grab a box of milk sitting in the shelves and checked the expiration date. It's almost freezing. 3 weeks nalang mage-expire na. I opened it and took three long gulps before I place it back into the fridge.

Even though I still wanted to go back to bed, I willed myself to take a bath and change into my uniform. The cafe is going to open in an hour and we need every help we can in preparing. Lumabas ako sa kwarto only to be greeted by the loud waves crashing along the shore. Waves are much stronger in ber months and nights seemed to be colder. I glanced at the last islet of the Philppines, just beautiful as it is. I am lucky enough to have a glimpse of it everyday when I wake up.

"You're late." Nilo grumbled, walking past me. "Get to work."

"Okay!" I chirped, smiling widely at him as I strode inside the closed cafe. I was downright happy when I spotted Grand Ida, setting the nativity set on the counter. She smiled at me.

"Why, hello. Good morning, Katherine."

"Good morning, Grand Ida." I beamed.

She paused as if to think for a while then she nodded at me in recognition. "I think you need to sit down with me. I need to talk to you."

Nilo must've heard it because he frowned in disapproval. I tilted my head. "What about?"

She went to her favorite booth located at the front porch of the cafe. She sat slowly with my assistance as her gaze traveled to the beach a couple of feet from our direction.

"I need you to go to Davao." She said.

"Oh?" I pulled a chair and sat on it.

"We're running out of supplies. The prices in Tibanban public market are getting higher because of Typhoon Vinta."

"So you like, want me to do the errands?" I clarified.

She nodded her head. "Yes, Katherine. And while you're at it, enjoy yourself."

I scowled at the old woman. Everyone seems to think that I'm having a hard time here in cape where in fact the days I've spent here are one of the best and peaceful days of my life. They all want me to send in Davao and leave this paradise. Take Mr. Sullivan as an example. He must've went home early this morning because I can't hear his annoying voice around nor I can find Ms. Elsa either.

"Catch the second trip of the bus today. We need a new microwave oven as well. I suppose you can handle it?"

"Sure." I nodded, noting to passed by NCCC Mall in Maa the moment I stepped in the city.

"Now, have your breakfast first before you go." Grand Ida pulled herself up, declining my offer of assistance in the process by waving her wrinkled hands. "I'll give you the budget and the list later on."