Forty-One

Forty-One

"Seriously?" I glared at the man wearing a black polo with my Dad's company logo embroidered on the upper part of it.

He scratched the back of his neck. "Ah, sorry po Ma'am. Wala na po akong magagawa. Utos po ni Sir Ferguson."

I pursed my lips. Dad and his brilliant ideas! Napakuyom ang mga kamao ko. I stormed off from the car and headed straight to the university, hoping to lose sight of the bodyguard Dad assigned for me.

The summer had already went on. When Dad discovered all of my crazy detours with Harry, I was forced to sit down with the family and discuss about it. Both of them urged me to attend college. I told them I wanted coffee-making class and they both gave me with a weird look as if I'm suggesting man can finally visit the sun.

"Wala kang mararating niyan," I remembered Dad's words perfectly because it seriously offended me. "Anak, you need to be more practical. I don't want you to endulge yourself into... wrong choices."

Karlo's face drifted to my mind once more. The old man spends most of his time on the hospital than on his cafe. I could only see Ronald taking over and my Tito's girlfriend, Rania most of the time. I want to help him so bad.

But yeah, as what I've said to Harry, I choose a creative writing program instead. It seems reasonable for both of them, kaya pinayagan na lang din nila ako. Now I'm standing like an idiot in a university I did not know about with a bodyguard who sees to it that I get to school and home safely.

My life couldn't be more pathetic. I grumbled as I walked down the hall and glanced at the large map on my hands.

Harry's face suddenly appeared inside of my mind. Hindi ko na siya nakita pa since last two weeks. Iyon na ang panghuli kong pagtakas sa bahay bago nalaman ng parents ko ang mga pinaggagawa ko. Thankfully, I had convinced him not to show up at my parent's house the night when his sister talked to me. It was followed by several stolen times we spent together on the street inside a car or a 24/7 diner. He did not even brought up the whole issue about my little stunt and I was so glad he opted not to.

When I finally found SH-503, nakahinga na ako nang maluwag. I stepped inside the room which cause several heads to turn towards my direction. They scrutinized me from head to toe then went on with what they are doing or talking about. They must've thought that my old band shirt and ripped jeans are not worthy of a company.

Naupo ako sa pinakadulo. A pretty girl in brown plain dress smiled at me. Her hair is braided to one side and her lips are naturally pink. She didn't have any make-up on, which made me feel overdressed because it's like she's not trying to be beautiful or impress anyone. And yet, I know half the guys keep on glancing back at her direction.

"Freshman?" Even her voice sounded perfect as well.

I slumped into my seat and place my bag into my lap. I nodded at her. "Yeah."

"Wonderful." She mused. "Don't worry, you'll like it here."

Easy for you to say since most of the guys are dying for your attention. I thought inside of my head.

After a while, a beautiful woman in navy blue business suit entered the classroom. At first I thought she's one of our classmates because of her youthful looks and well-trimmed waist. When she announced that she will be our classic literature teacher, students started snickering and boys are whistling. I mean, come on, kahit ako ay hindi ini-expect na ganito pala kaganda at kasexy ang professor namin.

She started the lesson with an activitiy. Somehow, it keep my mind occupied I almost protested when the bell rang. As I shoved my things into my bag, I silently prayed that the bodyguard isn't waiting in front of my room or it would be very embarassing.