Thirty-Five

Thirty-Five

I appreciated Harry's effort of lifting up my spirits when he played Lana del Rey's song along with several songs I really loved from Paramore but it wouldn't calmed my heart down. Kinakabahan pa rin ako lalo na nang makita ko ang pamilyar na bakery at barber shop sa bayan, indicating that we have already reached Angeles City.

I swallowed hard. Nang tumingin ako kay Harry, prente lang itong nakaupo habang nagmamaneho. A small smile curling on his lips. I suddenly envied him. He wouldn't get yelled at for ages because as far as his stories could tell, his Dad simply did not care about the whereabouts of his children so he could go wherever he want and disappeared for days without causing any problem.

Ngayon lang ako tinablan ng takot sa pwedeng sabihin o gawin ng mga magulang ko sa akin. Sure, I already turned 18 but with the way things are going on right now, I don't think it's wise for me to just ran off to the northermost part of the Philippines and forget all my problems.

My heart sank a little deeper inside of my chest. I can feel the anxiety seeping back into my skin. The pulsing presence of familiar sadness is there as if to remind me that I've got to go back to my life after what seemed like the best days spent with Harry.

"Hey." Napaigtad ako nang biglang hawakan ni Harry ang mga nanginginig kong kamay. He is driving one-hand right now which didn't really made me nervous the way I am thinking of seeing my parents back right now. "You okay?"

I took a deep breath and exhaled. Then I slowly shook my head. There's something about with Harry that urges me to tell or show my true feelings. I couldn't lie to him about what I'm feeling right now because he once said that one look in my eyes and he could already tell if something is wrong.

He chuckled. "Don't worry, I'll be by your side, okay?" Wika niya.

I nodded my head, not entirely convinced that it's going to be a good welcoming back home. Harry pulled out just in front of our house. Pinatay na niya ang makina ng sasakyan. I glance at the house to see that no one is around. Nakapatay din ang mga ilaw. I guess my parents are off to somewhere or something had happened. The house looked like haunted with all the dying flowers on the front porch and dirty surroundings. I immediately felt guilty knowing my mother clean those areas everyday. I must've drived her mad to the point that she ditched taking care of our household anymore just to find me.

"I really wanted to kiss you right now," Harry announced but when I glared at him, he chuckled, raising his arms up. "But yeah, I know that now is not the right time to do so." Then he sighed. "Are you ready?"

"Five more minutes." I said quickly but he did not waited for my reply. I wanted to scream in protest when he quickly open the door to my side but instead, I just glared at him and followed him inside of the short pathway leading to the front porch.

Harry stood his full six feet in front of the door habang nakatago naman ako sa likuran niya, gripping the straps of my traveling bag hard. He was about to knock on the door when it bursted open. It revealed Dad. At first he frowned at Harry then his eyes traveled to me. His face immediately turned crimson in anger and without thinking about it, blow a punch straight to Harry's face that sent him stumbling to the ground.

"Dad!" I yelped, dropping my bag and helping Harry up.

"How dare you show your face again in my house?!" Dad roared. My mother must've heard the sudden chaos because she quickly emerged from inside. I immediately felt guilty upon seeing the dark circles under her eyes. It widened when she finally saw me. "Mary Grace!" She said in delight, took a step outside and immediately engulfed me into a hug kaya nabitawan ko si Harry.

"Mom.... can't breathe..." Reklamo ko sa kanya. Her chest is rising up and down rapidly. Mas lalong tinusok ang puso ko when I realized she's crying.

"I thought.... we thought we have also lost you, anak..." She said between sobs.

I pulled away from her against my better judgement because I really couldn't breathe properly. I tried to smile and reassure her I'm fine but Dad is on his way to hit Harry again. Tumayo kaagad ako. "Dad! Stop it!" I pleaded.

"And you." Dad turned his icy gaze towards me. Napa-atras kaagad ako. I never seen him this mad before and it didn't even surprised me when his palm hit across my face. My mother gasped, yelling at him.

"Stop it, Thunder!" She shouted angrily. "Sumusobra ka na! Hindi mo naman kailangang saktan ang mga bata." Tears started welling up in my eyes as my mother took a step forward as if defending me from my father. Harry looked at me, his eyes filled with guilt. He pulled himself up and leaned closer to me, as if saying that he'd be right by my side no matter what.

Then he spoke up, eyes lowered to the ground. "It was entirely my idea when Mary Grace and I went to Mavulis Island, Sir." He said in a silent, apologetic voice. I glanced at him. Dad must've punched him too hard dahil pumutok ang labi niya but he didn't seemed to mind it. "Walang kinalaman si Mary Grace dito. I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking when I drag her into this trip."

Gusto kong ibuka ang bibig ko para mag-protesta because Harry is taking all the blame to himself when in fact, it was me who packed my things and showed up to their mansion unannounced declaring that we go to Mavulis Island as soon as possible. But I didn't because Dad started yelling at us again.

"If it weren't for your sister, we must've lost our mind looking for Mary Grace! Alam mo bang ini-report na namin ito sa police?! I can sent you straight to the jail if I want to—"

"No!" I protested, suddenly feeling angry. "Ako ang nagpunta sa kanya at ako ang may pakana nang lahat ng ito—"

"—You shut up young woman!" Dad roared again. Then he glared at Harry again. "Ikaw, akala ko pa naman matino kang lalaki!"

He did not answer and I did not answer either. The nervousness that invaded my heart is soon replaced by anger that I tried to hide. And it didn't help making me feel better either.

"Harry," My mother started slowly. "I think you should go home. Your sister is also looking for you. And I don't think you'll be able to see Mary Grace again." She announced softly that it send me panicking. Nagkatinginan kami ni Harry in alarm.

"But—"

"Please," My mother's voice is tired and weary. "Ayoko nang palakihin pa ang gulo. In exchange of not submitting Harry to the police officers, I prohibit you from seeing my daughter." She said in such firm determination na mas lalong nakapagpakaba sa akin.

"Ano pang hinihintay mo?!" Dad bellowed. "Alis na!" Then his raging eyes darted at me. "As for you young woman, get inside the house this instant! We have a lot to talk about!"

It didn't even bothered me that my Dad is really mad at me because the sadness of not seeing Harry again is suffocating. I glanced at him, tears brimming my eyes. Dad went inside the house angrily while my mother guided me inside. I took one last look to Harry before she closed the door. It broke my heart when he even tried to smile despite his glassy eyes and waved a little as the door shut to his face.