Broken Bones

You know what sucks? Being shut out of a room where the love of your life is in pain. You know what sucks even more? Not knowing if he's going to die or not. All because of stupid broken bones and monsters that try to kill us for just about two reasons: because we are lucky enough to be half 'god' and for revenge.

  I paced outside of the infirmary door. I'd been told about 36 hours ago that Nico got in a serious monster fight on his way to McDondals. It's just my luck that the one time I turned down his offer to go with him because I had some semi-important things to do he gets in a fight that would have been fine if I had gone with him. As I pace outside that cursed white door, I beat myself up for not being able to tell the future. That's what I had been doing ever since I got there and was told that he was in critical condition and only "professionals" were allowed in his room. I cursed every god I could think of for not warning me, or for not protecting him themselves.

  Finally, I ran out of angry energy and slumped into an almost magically uncomfortable chair. I ran my hands through my exceptionally greasy hair and waited for the worst. And there I sat for about 2 more hours, 38 hours of waiting before some tried looking child of Apollo poked his head out and looked around. He spotted me, then gestured me over.

  "You waiting for news about Nico?" He yawned. I nodded my head vigorously, fidgeting with the hem of my hoodie.

 "(Y/N), right?" He asked as he led me in. Once again I nodded. "Good, he's been asking for you every time he's awake."

  "Is he okay?" I asked nervously.

  "From all of the scares he has, I'd say he's had worse." Not very reassuring. He poked his head around a curtain, then showed me around.

  Nico was laying flat on his back. His hair stood out like a single stormy cloud on the perfectly white bed. I imagined that I would have romantically run over and grabbed his hand, but seeing him so helpless made me nervous. The Apollo spawn turned to leave he called over his shoulder and called, "I have more patients to help, but if anything dramatic happens just call." 

  I nodded. Nervously I made my way over a chair beside his head. I sat for a couple minutes, trying to find traces of the normal Nico in his sleeping face. There was a scratch beside his left eye, going from his temple to just below his cheekbone. It was an ugly red line through the freckles I liked to find shapes in as he slept. I didn't think it would scar though. I reached out to trace it, but the second my finger touched it his eyes flutter open. For a few seconds, we just stared at each other, relishing in each other's presence.

  "You made it just in time," he whispered in a rough and sleepy voice. Still sexy.

  "Made it in time for what," I whispered back, cupping his face lightly.

  "I don't know," he smiled weakly, "it just seemed like the right thing to say..."

  "Oh, Nico," I leaned down and kissed his messy hair. I stayed like that for a while, my cheek on top of his head and my hand on his warm chest. Wait, why is his chest warm... come to think of it, the rest of him is warm too.

  "Nico Di Angelo, how in Hades are you warm?" I looked at his face.

  "Do you like it, mia regina?" he teased me.

  "I would like it if it didn't mean that you were sick," I poked his chest.

  "What?" he weakly poked me back, "Are you scared that you're going to catch the lovebug?" 

   I stifled a laugh, "Cheesy, but I'm afraid it's too late."

  "And who's the lucky man who has stolen your heart?"