Vintage

I'm a huge fan of images like this.

  Large ballgowns rustled around the dance floor, twirling around with the help of gentlemen in tailed coats. Lovers danced to the beat of cellos and violas and those of us who weren't lucky enough to have a lover sat and watched. As you may have guessed, I am one of many to have no one chasing after me. This also meant I get to sit and watch as the dancers spun around in brightly colored ball gowns with glittering jewels around their necks, delicate wrists, and elegant fingers.

  Me? I have jewelry but it's all old things that my 5 older sisters don't want. My dresses? They're pretty in a 'vintage' way, with faded colors and missing embellishments. My shoes are another story. Just like the rest of my clothes, they have been passed down from one of my sisters. The shoes I own are all scuffed, dirty, worn, and relatively unsafe to walk in, but I must.   

  I fidgeted with the old ring on my finger, a tarnished silver rose that leaves blue marks on my skin to go with my faded baby blue gown, and watched longingly as all 5 of my sisters swayed with handsome men. I sighed and went back to examining my ring.

  "Are you alright, miss?" I heard a gentlemen's voice sound from behind me but I dismissed it as meant for another lady. "Miss?" I looked up this time, still sure no one was speaking to me. "So you can hear me," the smiling face of a boy around my age greeted me. Upon further inspection, I found I recognized him as the ever-loved-and-sought-after Nico Di Angelo.

  "Yes, I can hear," I replied in my curtest voice, "and I'm obviously not the person you think I am."

  "If that's the case then who do I think you are?"

  "Probably a lady you know with too much money and a good reputation."

  "I think nothing of the sort," Nico smiled at me and slid into a seat across from mine.

  "Then what do you think?" I asked, my curiosity peaked. 

  "Well," he tapped his head, "to me you look like someone who doesn't have much to her name but old gowns from her... 5?.. sister."

  "I'd like to point out that is slightly rude and impolite to assume such things even if they are correct. This also leads me to my next question; why speak to me, let alone sit with me. That will quickly tarnish your perfect image."

  "I like people who are real and don't hide behind looks or reputations."

  "I don't have much of a choice when it comes to hiding behind looks, my sisters got everything, even the perfect faces."

  "I find your face quiet appealing.. miss?" 

  "(L/N), (Y/N)(L/N), thank you, Mr. Di Angelo," I lightly shook his outstretched hand.

  "You know, Miss (L/N), I'd even go as far to say your face was quite beautiful." I quickly hid my burning face behind my gloved hand, but Nico must have thought that the action indicated discomfort from me.

  "I'm terribly sorry, miss, I'm afraid I over-stepped my bounds," he politely apologized and stood up to leave.

  "No no!" I quickly stood up as well, "you haven't over-stepped anything."

  "Well, in that case, would you like to join me for a dance," Nico smiled widely, holding his hand out to me.

  "I would love to, but-" I trained off.

  "But?" Nico's smile slightly faded, "I suppose a lovely young lady like yourself would already have another in her life."

  "Once again, that is not the case. No man looking for a proper wife has ever given me a second glance. Like you said, I have just about nothing to my name and my sisters get all the attention," I smiled sadly, "the 'but' is no one has ever bothered to teach me to dance, besides, my shoes are in no condition."