Haunted (2)

(S/T)=Skin tone.

  Nico's P.O.V

  A flash of (E/C) eyes against (S/T) skin sent a wave of repressed memories crashing over my head. I felt myself stumble back, almost fall, as (Y/N) rose to her bare feet. She moved lightly over to where concrete met grass and let her gaze fall on me.

  "Welcome home," she flashed a smile, but it wasn't her smile.

  "Home?" 

Your P.O.V.

  "Clearly Will Solace has dubbed you unstable and/or unsafe or he would not have sent you home," I replied as calmly as I could. Treating Nico like every other new arrival hurt like dragging a knife over my skin, but the others were present and I couldn't let my confidence slip.

  When I had first been sent 'home' I had found it in shambles. Ever demigod, truly mentally ill or not, was fighting. They fought over everything, food, beds, words used, and anything else. I knew immediately that they need some kind of power symbol, so I filled that place as best I could.

  I did things like assuming a prominent position when we heard the code typed, teaching the youngest ones to fight, and sparing with the older ones. The ages in here roamed from 8 to almost 19. I myself was 16 when I was sent to this hell-hole. That was one day short of a year ago. A year of my life wasted in this concrete hell.

  "What do you mean 'Will dubbed me unstable'?" Nico repeated me, every emotion flashing over his face.

  Inwardly, I cringed. I knew that Will had sent me here because I was the only thing between him finally getting what he wanted; Nico. He had called me in 'for an annual checkup' but had discovered 'unstabilty' in me and had sent me here as soon as he possibly could.

  "Will discovered an underlying, or overlying, mental illness in you and has sent you here to live out your days until your 20th birthday upon which you will be released into the mortal world and will receive no help from Camp Half-Blood," I replied gently, treating Nico like any other confused camper sent here. I knew Will didn't send him. He didn't, did he?

  "Why would Will send anyone out into the woods to 'live out their days' because of some mental illness?" Nico's face settled on confusion.

  "With the powers most demigods are blessed with, we can be unpredictable, so we must be kept away from the other campers as to not hurt them-" I plastered a smile over my face and held out a hand-" Please come in and meet the rest of us, I promise that you'll like it here."

  Nico's P.O.V.

  I stared at (Y/N)'s outstretched hand and considered her offer. I took it.

  She led me gently in and the second I crossed from the grass the door slammed shut with a lock clicking into place like a cocking gun.

  "If you had stayed out there any longer the door would have shut and you would have to wait until Wednesday for someone to come and let you in," (Y/N) smiled cheerfully, still not really smiling.

  The introduction to the other occupants was a blur, young faces of children stood out to me the most though. Why would Will be sending 8-year-olds out here? How could he?

  Afterward, (Y/N) led me towards the back of the building and into a small room.

  "Sit," she said, gesturing at a pile of old pillows. She sat on another pile on the other side of a short wooden table. 

  "Sorry about the whole introduction and making you come in thing," she sighed, rubbing a hand over her face. "If I treated you differently than I treat other new-comers questions would be asked, and I don't even know all the answers to them yet."

  "It's-It's fine," I said.

  I watched her for a few seconds. Up close she looked tired and worn, older than the 17-year-old she was.

  "Does Will really send people here?" I asked quietly, dreading the answer.

  She nodded briefly.

  "Oh gods," I groaned. The person I had been dating since (Y/N) supposedly left was actually some kind of over-cautious freak who thought it was a good idea to put schizophrenic or other people with some kind of mental problem into a bunker. 

  A thought hit me. "Why did you put you in here? You weren't that mentally ill." I cringed at the words that came out of my mouth.

  (Y/N) shrugged. "He wanted you and I was in his way."

  "Hades," I hissed, "I can't believe this."

  "Believe it," she said, abruptly rising from her spot, "Will's here to get you. I knew he wouldn't actually send you here."

  "What-?" I started, but (Y/N) was already out the door.

  I followed her and watched in fascination as the campers parted around her as she grabbed a sword and sat down on the spot I first saw her in. Only this time her posture was threating even without the carefully polished sword resting in her lap.

  My head was full of questions, but sun slipped through a widening crack beneath the door before I could voice them.

  It took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the light and to focus on the blond figure standing in the light. Will stepped through the opening and stopped short as (Y/N) stood up. I couldn't see her face, but I would guess that it was fierce.

  "Where's Nico?" Will's voice rang out.

  (Y/N) gestured at me with a casual hand. "Calm down, I didn't kidnap him. We both know I can't get out. If I could, I would have been gone months ago."

  "Come on Nico," Will called, addressing me.

  There was part of me that still wanted to not trust what (Y/N) told me, but everything else said otherwise, so I stayed put.

  "What did you do to him?" Will demanded, "Let him go!"

  "I've done nothing but tell the truth," (Y/N) said quietly.

  Will's eyes flitted nervously to me, then to (Y/N), then back to me. "Please, Nico."

   Stepping forward, I moved to stand behind (Y/N) and glare at Will. "You're a monster."

  He stumbled back like I'd shot him, pain ruining his feature. I heard a whisper run through the crowd behind me. A few of the braver ones stepped forward, realizing that there was just about nothing stopping them. When nothing happened, they burst into the sun they hadn't seen in gods know how long.

  (Y/N) stayed put, quietly watching the scene in front of her. Slowly, she set her sword on the concrete and followed the others into the sun. It wasn't until her feet touched the grass that she turned to me.

  "Why did you come here?" She asked.

  "I missed you," I said quietly, following her to take her hands in mine.

  "Why?" she asked again, looking almost curiously at our intertwined hands, "I thought he'd forgotten."

  "How could I ever forget everything you've done for me. And I love you," I added and surprised myself.

  She started and looked up at me, a smile lighting up her upturned face. "I never forgot how I much I love you too."

  I smiled too and kissed her.

I'm super not proud of this. Also, hi, I haven't updated this in a hot minute, but I update my three Marvel books. So hit those up.

~Di Angel