Mr. van Leer's Reading List

A/N: Hi guys! So many of you have inboxed me and asked me about all the books that Mr. van Leer loves so much. Some of you just wants to marry him by the sounds of it. (Believe me, you are not alone in that regard.) What I have done is asked him to write a letter with his ten favorite books of all time and he has gladly agreed to list them in an open letter. I can say I have read them all after he had given me this letter and I loved every single book on the list! Happy reading!

To all the readers out there,

First and foremost I would like to thank each and every one of you for reading "Listen Before You Speak" since it is my personal favorite book of them all. Partly because it is the source that gives me life, but also because it does consist of one or two of my favorite books. As an English teacher there is nothing more important to me than reading, and if you are reading this chapter, know who I am, and has cried with Elijah, it means that you are indeed fond of reading as well. It makes me so very proud to know that. 

Now without any further ado, a list of my favorite books:

1. "Harry Potter" by J.K. Rowling

This is probably the first book series that will come to mind to many readers, and I would like to note that if you are yet to read this brilliant series by Miss Rowling, you are in for a wonderful treat. This magical tale about an orphan boy that will grow up and learn in a magical school called Hogwarts is one of the best written books in my honest opinion. Not only is it stamped full of moral values, but it also takes you to a whole new world of fantasy, teaching you nothing is stronger than the magic of love. Obviously I cannot pick one Harry Potter book over the other, like many other book series' out there. I can however say that if I have to choose a favorite of the seven it would be "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince", because who doesn't love the brilliantly compiled backstory of our Dark Lord?

2. "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde

This is without a doubt a brilliantly written classic. Written in 1890 it's easy to see how this book which was way ahead of its time could have caused some uproar in its time. This story has been reproduced and retold so many times that it sometimes gets a bit hard to remember the original version. I can however say that Wilde has a very unique way of explaining and describing his worlds that it is almost unheard of for someone to miss out on all his wonderful fun.

3. "The Iron Fey" by Julie Kagawa

Once again a nice teen fiction series from another world of fantasy by the very talented Miss Kagawa. I only discovered her books about a year or two ago, but fell in love with her deep and multi-dimensional characters. With just a small splash of Shakespearian folklore and lots of wondrous imagination she has turned her books into a playground I want to be. Just be careful... There are rule about the other world where the fairies are. If you don't listen to them... Well, let's just say that you just might die.

4.  "Percy Jackson" by Rick Riordan

I  am starting to feel like I can't possible just choose stand alone books. Maybe it is because I want to pick more than just 10 books and this is the only way for me to make sure I can have as many good books on the list as I possibly can. In any case, Percy Jackson's world is rich with mythology, both Greek and Roman. You will learn and play, fight and love, laugh and cry, as Percy goes on quests that will take your breath away. This series, as well as all other series' written by Rick Riordan is an easy read but will stay with your for the rest of your life. There is just something magical in the way he writes that keeps you wanting more and more. 

5. "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho

This book is a metaphor that will in time become a true classic. It has all the essentials; drama, mystery, suspense, and just enough magic to make sure you are entertained and not able to put it down. Although written for an older audience the book has found its place into the hearts of many younger readers as well who are trying just as hard to find their purpose in life. Without a doubt a must read!

6. "The House of Night" by P.C. and Kirsten Cast

It's a rare find to read a complete new take on the ever popular vampire theme. This however is a complete new take, bringing the world to a halt. The scenes are so in bedded with real life that it feels like you can walk into a House of Night and demand the tracker to mark you into becoming a vampire yourself. Full of Native American folklore, as well as a Wiccan/Pagan background, it is without a doubt worth the read. Just so you know, looking at ancient historical spells and rituals, these books are spot on. So don't try and do the spells. Who knows what could happen! There are however 12 books in the series, apart from it's many spin-offs and novellas, enough to keep you happy for a while.

7. "The Lord of The Rings Trilogy" by J.R.R. Tolkien

This one needs no explanation. Like Harry Potter it is probably some of the best known books written in the last century. There is no question that Tolkien is the true father of fantasy and creating magical worlds, and his imagination runs wild from one page to the next. Although many people would tell you to read "The Hobbit" first I would not suggest it. "The Hobbit" can at times be extremely boring and make you not want to start on LOTR where the real magic is hidden. It is written in an old world style, but it remains a treasure that is still relevant to this day.

8. "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky

Now, I will always choose a book over its film, but sometimes the book is so close to the book and so well produced and directed that you can't help but love them both. This story centered around letters written by Charlie, explore the more depressing themes a high school student goes through. Not just that, but you get to take a look at the very popular mixed tape from the 90's. By the time you are done reading this book you will be writing the one journal entry after the other. You won't be able to help it.

9. "Cormoron Strike Series" by Robert Galbraith

In case you did not get the memo yet... Robert Galbraith is the pen name of... You guessed right - J.K. Rowling. Although you can spot her unique writing style anywhere this is much different to Harry Potter. Sherlock Holmes might have been the most talked about Private Investigator for countless of decades, but Cormoron Strike and his lovely assistant Robin is here to take his place. The only crime novels I have ever read where I was guessing with no idea who the culprit was until the very last page. 

10. "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll

Now you all have to know this one! It was written in 1865 and has remained a popular fiction to this very day, being more popular today than what it was 150 years ago. Centered around a girl who seems to have gone mad, this book as sported some of the best quotes, cosplays, movies, merch, and books of the past century (or two). This is a true masterpiece and like the best masterpieces out there it was thought to have been a failure at first, never to be published. Guess that history showed them how very wrong they were.

And these are the books that kept me sane in the time that Elijah was in the hospital, and after than when he tried to commit suicide a few times. These are the stories I have given to him for each and every birthday and Christmas, hoping that he would find some hope to hold on too. I hope from the bottom of my heart that each of you will find at least one book on this list that you will keep come to you heart. And let me know which are your top ten favorite books. I would love to read them if I have not read them before (which is quite possible, since I am 3 books away from appearing on an episode of The Hoarder). Just leave your top ten here in the comments and share you love with the rest of the world. 

Then just another quick update in our lives:

Mark and I are finally getting married next year. The wedding date is set for the end of July and I am so inviting you all to come. 

Elijah is doing fine at the moment. He has met somebody, although I am yet to meet this somebody. For some reason he does not want me to meet his mystery boyfriend just yet, but I am sure that in time I will. He seems to finally be able to live with the fact that Blake is no longer with us. I am still worried about him, but he is doing better than what he had ever done.

Lucy is still Lucy. She shops, she drops, and she bosses people around. Some things never change.

Hope you are all doing fine,

All my love,

Mr. Sam van Leer