Special: HS

Hoseok's Past

"Mom! Let's go play!" A cheeky 9 year old boy exclaimed with a wide grin as he skipped towards the front door.

His mother, who was very carefully applying her makeup in front of the grand foyer mirror, paused and for a second an annoyed scowl flashed by her lips before it was replaced by a tightly pristine smile.

She gracefully lowered her hand. "Hoseok" She said softly - some would say it sounded like chimes but Hobi felt the ice in her tone.

It was always so cold.

"Not today" she finished stiffly and with no other explanation she went back to fixing her already perfectly styled hair.

Hobi's eyes lowered to the ground dejectedly and he felt his lips wobble. He immediately stopped himself though because he knew how much it upset his parents.

He had to be perfect and his image always had to be beyond that.

He silently turned around and walked through the winding corridors of their lavish mansion. Even with all the priceless decors that littered the entire place, it still felt so empty.

He came across the dark oak door of his room and entered, shutting it behind him quietly as he lost another piece of his already crumbling heart.

His mother hadn't even realize that he had disappeared. She was too busy grooming herself for the next event that all the other stuffy adults always attended.

But maybe he was stubborn and refused to believe it was because she didn't love him as much as he loved her.

He couldn't fathom it.

————————————————

"W-why are you doing this for me?" A voice stuttered in disbelief and Hoseok's guarded eyes softened, his hands still holding out a USB.

"I've heard a lot about your work..." he began nonchalantly. "My family fears it. They fear the power you have with whatever information you get your hands on and to be quite honest they're quite threatened by it" he said while chuckling dryly.

He shrugged. "But I'm not going to lie. They would have 'taken care' of you ages ago if you weren't so influential and that's exactly why I wanted you to have this" Again, he held the USB forward and her eyes narrowed in distrust.

"You're Jung Hoseok though" she spat out coldly and he ignored the ache in his chest from the bite in her tone because she had every reason to distrust him.

She eyed him down. "I'm not stupid either. Tell me the real reason why you're willingly handing over your entire family's dirty secrets without getting anything in exchange. I know how you guys work" she told him honestly with narrowed eyes.

He inwardly smiled. He liked her passion and the fact that she didn't cower in fear even after knowing who he was, so he decided to acquiesce to her demands and be honest.

He sighed and for a split second she saw just how tired he was. "...because I'm tired of hearing their screams branded in my head...because the nightmares that keep me up at night won't go away...because too many people have died in and for our name...and I can't continue to watch this go on. It's been a long time since I've been disillusioned by their corrupt methods..."