Only

"I think the hardest part about losing someone, isn't having to say goodbye, but rather learning to live without them.
Always trying to fill the void, the emptiness that's left inside your heart when they go."
-S.B.

I brushed off my jacket as I waited for Ivy to get up. Offering my arm, we started the short walk back to the house. As we drew closer, horror shot through me as I saw the door open. Forcing myself to stay calm, I slowly peeked past the threshold. My breath caught in my throat as a shadow passed by me and I quickly ducked back outside.

Harry.

He was back.

"Follow me." I signed to Ivy, bending over and slipping my heels off. Taking a deep breath, I took off running toward the nearby woods, away from my children and Harry.

I needed a break.

I slowed my pace and watched Ivy slowly jog toward me. I beckoned for her to walk next to me.

"I need to tell you something."

And I did.  I told her about how abusive Harry was and how scared I was for my children's lives. How everyday I woke up knowing that today could be the last day I lived because of him.

And as the sun settled on the horizon, slowly rising, I showed her my scars.

She didn't respond, barely a reaction. But she ran her fingers over the bruises on my neck from his fingers and my black and blue thighs and I knew.

She understood why I had sent her away.

She gave me a small smile and I returned it before engulfing my sister in a hug. Ivy curled her arms around my back and I sighed, happiness for the first time in years flitting through me. I hadn't noticed where we had been walking and I froze as I heard a strangled cry from behind us and I turned slowly.

My mouth dropped and I watched in horror as Melanie; tears pouring down her face, threw a dagger directly at Luke, it's point true. I tried to look away but my eyes wouldn't tear themselves from the scene.

It happened in slow-motion.

Purple hair flew from behind Melanie, jumping in front of Luke. The knife impaled itself into the martyr and I stared in disbelief. My knees weakened and I could feel Ivy's arms supporting me as I crumpled. I struggled up and rushed over to the body, tears streaming down my face, my make-up running. Slowly, I reached out a hand, already recognizing the crown hooked to the figures belt, the vibrant hair spread out around her head, and the small bracelet I had made for her in year 6.

Mal.

"No. No! No! This can't- this isn't how it was supposed to go!" I heard Melanie's voice crack but I ignored it. I moved my hand to her chin, tracing her jawline my fingers sticky with the blood that was currently looking from her chest. I looked into her dying eyes as she painfully opened them, her blue orbs slowly glazing over. Tears gathered in the back of my throat as I tried to speak. Tried to tell her how sorry I was that I wasn't a better friend to her. She simply put a finger to her lips and slowly beckoned me closer. I leaned near her face, our lips almost touching.

"I love you, E."

I watched the light slowly die in my best friends eyes and I started shaking. I could feel the stares of the people gathered around us but I'd didn't care.

I just lost my bestfriend.

My supporter, my lover, my sister, practically!

Gone in the blink of an eye.

I came back to Earth and slowly lowered my lips to hers, getting one last kiss. I hadn't felt her lips since we were young. They were still warm and I could feel another wave of tears sliding forward. Looking up, I saw Luke's shocked expression and Melanie's somber one.

Melanie.

Anger coursed through my veins as I struggled up, careful not to disturb Mal's body. Her eyes widened as I stalked toward her, my eyes blazing. My hand went to her throat and I pinned her against a tree, my fingers slowly clasping her neck. Adrenaline soared through me as she wheezed with every breath she took, my hand cutting into her windpipe.

"You killed her! You killed my best friend! You killed Mal!" The last sentence was barely a whisper as I slowly uncurled my fingers from her throat, my hand dropping to my side.

"You killed Mal." She stared at me fearfully as I repeated my sentence and I felt numb as it all sunk in.

She was dead.

I could feel Ivy's hands guiding me back toward my house, quickly signing something to Luke, who was still shell shocked at the scene before him. As Ivy guided me past her body, I let out a cry and rushed back toward Mal, her body already turning cold. I wrapped my arms around her one last time before removing her bracelet and crown and slowly shuffling back toward my house.

————————
I slowly trudged up the stairs, not caring about anything. I could hear the doors on the kids' rooms open and their eyes burned into my back as I slowed my pace at my room. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door to find Harry sitting up, a mug of tea in his hands, another one on my bed stand. Confused, I kicked my shoes off and crawled into bed next to him, relinquishing into his controlling touch which was somewhat subdued for some reason tonight.

"Mal's dead." I heard myself speak and watched him nod before he put his tea down and cuddled me closer; gently.

Something he hadn't done in years.

I snuggled next to him, feeling his warm breath in my ear as my thoughts surged with images of Mal and I from our childhood. I choked  back a cry at the thought the small child brewing in my abdomen never knowing their aunt.

That was enough to make me lose it.

Sobs wracked my body as I silently shook, and Harry's arms wrapped around my stomach, slowly massaging my hips. It calmed me down a bit, his touch doing wonders and suddenly, all the events from that day, even though it was around noon, hit me and my eyelids felt heavy. Glancing at the tea, I internally groaned even though I knew I was tired, I didn't like when I was drugged. My eyes slowly closed even a s I fought against it and I was thrown into a fit of dreams, each one about how things could had turned out differently for Mal if I had helped her.

Harry stayed all day.

A/N

500 reads!!! Thank you thank you so much. I'm so great full. This is in Evie's POV. Please vote and comment on how you liked it! Thanks my beautifjl readers!