71

"dan?" phil called out into his, and almost dans, apartment. he had brought him back after the whole episode at the park, making him a cup of coffee and now he was standing in his kitchen, leaning against the counter as he waited for his bagel to finish. dan was on the couch in the next room, and has been silent ever since they arrived. "do you want anything to eat?"

he heard a small "no thanks," from across the hall and only sighed, grabbing a plate from the cabinet. it's felt particularly awkward ever since the park, especially after the experience they had in the car.

"do you wanna talk about it?" phil asked, looking over at dan for a split second before turning his eyes back to the road. neither of them were talking, and phil still couldn't help but feel that dan was annoyed with him, but he wasn't sure why. maybe because phil introduced jamie to everyone in the first place? or that he even trusted him?

or maybe dan was just scared. scared about trusting anyone or having to see james ever again. phil wanted to make sure that never happens. "do you- um, do you like jamie, then?" dan had said shakily, looking down at his hands fiddling in his lap, praying that phil didn't notice the tears in dans eyes or the nerves in his voice.

"what? no, of course not." phil replied, almost surprised that dan thought of such a thing; and even so, thought phil would still like him after all this. "i like um- someone, someone else."

dan had only nodded and looked out the window the whole rest of the car ride, and now everything just seemed so tense to phil. maybe it was the way dans hands shook as he took the mug of coffee from phil, or how he barely smiled at his attempt of a joke. or how when he came into the house he went straight into the restroom, not coming out for so long that phil had to check on him.

he walked into the lounge where dan was, curled up at the corner of the couch, his coffee on the side-table and his eyes trained down on the knitted blanket phil had offered him. his eyes were puffed and his bottom lip curled under his teeth as he sighed, looking up at phil who sat down next to him carefully. "you can stay here tonight if you need- i mean, if you want? or not, it's whatever you need,"

dan nodded, smiling gently, his eyes softening as he leaned further into the sofa. "that would be nice, thank you." he answered and phil smiled wide, happy that dan was willing to spend the night with him. he was expecting him to decline, or even ask to leave right then. but he didn't.

"so... um, want half of my bagel?"