Testing the Waters

There was something about the first time someone visits the exact place that you survive your days in. How they can almost notice and not notice every single detail that could give anything away about you. Especially when and if they know nothing about you. By the things that could be hanging on the walls, the appearance of the living space whether it be clean or messy. There was always something that could give away a bit of your soul in essence. It's that first impression that will either give a disconnect from home and individual, or that comfort that makes you feel as if you're welcomed into an actual home that's prided on and cherished to have established.

When Cyren stepped in through the front door held open by TJ, she didn't know what to expect, in truth she probably expected a full home with younger siblings and happily married parents. But she had noticed that only TJ's car had pulled into the driveway, though it were a newer model and painted flat black, she had surmised it to be a graduation gift. But upon entry, it was evident that there weren't many people living in this home at all. What gave it away was the quietness, something that wasn't in her own home with her parents, her younger brother, and then herself. Her parents were fighting regularly these days over financial issues and her younger brother's rebellion. So she had almost forgotten what it was like to be in a place that was so still and calm. The second thing that tipped her off was how organized and clean the home appeared to be. When entering, it was directly into the living room, which hosted a plain solid grey L shaped couch against the parallel wall adjacent from the television that was mounted to the wall. Below that sat a black entertainment center that hosted more than a few gaming consoles. The walls had been adorned with a few scenic shots that were framed and placed perfectly to catch the natural lighting from the windows that were draped with red and black curtains. The color scheme of the entire room was cohesive in a sense to be admired as art itself. There was a shoe rack beside the front door that she quickly caught on to for her to kick off her tattered black Converse shoes and set on the rack before stepping out onto the spotless beige colored carpet. It almost seemed as if no one had ever lived in the home at all. Directly facing her was a hallway that lead down to several shut doors besides the one at the end that was obviously a bathroom with white tile. TJ shuts the door behind him and leans against it as she looks around curiously. She turns to look back at his half-lidded gaze upon her, his blackened eye worrying her when he had picked her up had grown on her now, and it almost seemed fitting that he would be a bit of a fighter. She couldn't imagine someone as kind as him getting into any quarrel but she had assumed it was in defense. TJ swings out his hand palm up in signal for her to do as she pleases. She turns back to the living room and steps in further, her curiosity now focused on the photos hung on the white walls. She walks through quietly, afraid to disturb the calm of the atmosphere and it's implied serenity as she examines a photo of an orange hued moon in high definition behind the couch.

"My roommate is an aspiring photographer, he's really good huh?" TJ speaks first to give her some insight for her obvious questioning eyes.

"Your roommate?" She quirks at the given hint, glad that she wasn't going to have to ask endless questions like an interview to get to know him better.

"Mm, Kaeden. He's not here now, but if you stick around long enough I'm sure that you'll get a chance to meet him. He's a great guy. Loud. But great." TJ chuckles passing behind her to the archway that lead into the dining room.

Cyren follows behind him unsurely to the dining room to find more photos on the walls around the counter height black table that could seat four. To left was the small kitchenette where she found TJ beginning to pull some things from the cupboards and fridge. He moves with ease in the small space collecting everything he needs to begin preparing their lunch.