Chapter 18: The Aftermath

Your POV

The base was quiet for the first time in a long while. A cool autumn breeze blew through the air, carrying the first fallen leaves with it. The sun shone softly through the decrepit window of the nest, warming me as I snuggled Mick. I lay on top of him, my arms cushioning my head. He had one arm behind his own head, and the other lay loosely over my waist. Despite all that's happened, right now, it almost felt peaceful.

It's been three days since we escaped, and the Administrator put both bases on a leave of sorts. Me and Mick decided it would be best not to talk about what happened in the cellar, but something was bothering me. I looked up at the aussie, his slouch hat covering his eyes. I huffed out a small chuckle, and tilted his hat so I could see him. He kept his eyes closed, but I knew he wasn't sleeping. I moved forward a bit and gave a soft kiss to his lips. He chuckled and wrapped both arms around my waist, pushing his lips just a bit harder against mine. When he pulled away, he looked at me fondly.

"Not that I'm complaining sheila, but what was that for?"
"You looked so cute with your hat over your eyes, I had to." 

He chuckled. He pecked my lips once more before leaning his head back again. I let out a sigh, and he looked at me again, one eyebrow raised.

"What's wrong?"
"Nothing."
"(Y/n), I know what that sigh means. What's on yer mind love?"

I sighed again. "I know we said we wouldn't talk about it, but... I want you to know that if you ever need to, I'm here to listen. I know it couldn't have been easy for you to, y'know..."

"Sweetheart," he said. He held me by the waist, looking into my eyes as he spoke. "I love you. You need to know that I'd do it again and again if it meant keeping you safe."

"But he was-"

"Just because we shared some blood doesn't make him my family. Family is made up of people you love and trust with your life. This," he hugged me a bit, "is my family. You and all of these bloody idiots are more of a family to me than he ever was."

Tears began to fall. "Oh Snipes..." I hugged him, burying my face in his neck. "I love you."

"I love you too sheila."

He cupped my face in his hand, kissing me lovingly. I scooted up on his torso, now straddling his stomach. We kissed for a few minutes, but just as things were getting heated, there was a knock on the door. Mick pulled away, mumbling under his breath.

"Bloody hell, what do you want?!"

The door opened and Spy walked in. I scrambled to get off of Sniper while he cursed out the frenchman.

"I said 'what do you want?' not 'come in' ya wanka!"

"My apologies bushman. (Y/n)," he said, turning to me. "I believe the Engineer needs your help with something."

"Oh, okay." I turned back to my boyfriend, pecking him on the lips. "I'll be back."

"Mmhm."

Mick's POV

As she walked out the door, I could feel Spy's eyes on me.

"What?" I asked, turning to look at him. He smiled and shook his head, pulling out his ciggarette case and offering me one. He lit our cigs as we looked out the window, towards the track on the base. Scout was running around, mostly everyone was playing poker, and Engie was sorting some boxes. (Y/n) walked up to Engineer and they started talking, soon moving the boxes into the garage. 

"You really are in love with her, aren't you?"

I looked from Spy to (y/n). She talked with Engie, laughing when Scout ran into the poker table, messing up everyone's hands. Even from here, she was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Her (h/c) hair blew slightly in the wind, and I knew without even looking that her eyes were shining with that special spark they got when she laughed. I looked at her, a smile on my face.

"Yeah," I said, "I really am."

"You know," he said. "after all that's happened, I believe our time left here is limited."
I looked at him. "They're shutting down?"
He shrugged noncommittally. "It's likely."

I looked out at the team. Heavy had Scout in a chokehold, while the rest of the team cheered him on. I sighed. 

"Well then," I said, reaching into my pocket. I pulled out something I've been keeping hidden for a while. I showed the frechmen, and he smirked at me. 

"I think I might need your guys' help with something."