Chapter 19: Memories, Old and New

I know y'all been waiting for this one! Not gonna lie, I almost cried at the end. Enjoy!

Mick's POV

I looked over the note one last time, heart pumping with nervousness. I glanced at Spy leaning against the wall, watching as he lit yet another cigarette.

"You're sure this'll work Spook?"
He blew out a puff of smoke.
"Do you love her?"
"Course I do."
"And she loves you?"
"Yeah."

He chuckled.

"Then I guarantee it will work, mon ami."

Your POV

The soft noise of my alarm clock roused me from my sleep. I hit the snooze, and snuggled deeper into the warmth of my covers. I dozed for a while, taking advantage of a rare day off, before a soft knocking at the door roused me.

"Scout, I swear to cheez-its, if you're waking me up to do some dumb prank, I will pour hot sauce in your Bonk! again."

...

There was no reply, just a soft noise as something was pushed under the door. I turned over, surprised to see a cream-colored envelope lying on my carpet. I got up, sock-covered feet padding lightly on the floor. Holding the envelope, I opened my door, surprised to see no one there. I looked up and down the hallway, sighing when I found no sight of anyone.

I closed the door to my bedroom, leaning against the door as I looked at the front of the envelope. I smiled at the writing, recognizing the messy, lazy scrawl of my bushman. The paper was worn, faded from repeated writing and erasing, before finally deciding on the words.

(Y/n),

It's no secret that I love you. I've said it a hundred times over, and I'll say it a hundred more before I die; but that's not enough. You need to know that I remember. I remember every moment we've had together, even before we were together.

Go into the kitchen love.

-Mick

I quickly got dressed and, following the instruction, headed to the kitchen.

___________________

On the table in the kitchen, lay another envelope. Two small toy horses stood on top, a brown and white paint and a honey brown, necks craned around each other in a hug. I slipped the envelope from underneath them, opening the second letter.

I remember when I first saw you. I was stunned that someone as beautiful as you was working at a nature reserve. When me and the spook walked in, we were bickering like a married couple. You were patient enough to wait while we talked, and offered us a tour. I remember talking as we rode towards Demon's Rock, and I remember the look on your face when we found the cubs. I'll never forget the look of determination on your face as we took them back to the office; and underneath it, sympathy for the poor little buggers.

And I remember the first time I saw you shoot.

I thought about the last line for a moment, briefly thinking that he'd want me to go to the range we usually practice at; but that wasn't the first time he saw me shoot. With a smirk, I headed towards his camper.

___________

A cold autumn breeze chilled me as I walked to the camper. True to my thoughts, pinned to the side by an arrow was another letter. I smiled as I got closer, seeing the arrow pinned directly through the 'o' in Love, written on the front.

The first time I saw you shoot an arrow, I was amazed. I was a bit miffed that you just took off with my bow, but seeing you bullseye that can had my heart racing. The only thing I regret that day was not getting to finish our coffee.

But most importantly, I remember the day I first said I love you.

I smiled as I made my way to the waterfall.

______________

The hill overlooking the falls was breathtaking. A checkered blanket covered the grass, a small picnic set out on top of it. A wooden structure was built, strung up with fairy lights, illuminating the night. As I stood in the center, taking in the view, I heard soft footsteps behind me.

"Hello love."

I turned around to see Michael, void of vest, hat, and shades.

"Hey."
"Sorry for the run-around love, but I uh- needed some more time to finish setting up. How do you like it?"
"Michael it's beautiful."
"Thanks, but, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a little help. Shall we eat?"
"Sure."

After a lovely meal and some stargazing, we laid down on the blanket and stared at the stars. After a while, I felt Mick start to shake. I moved my head from his chest to look him in the eyes.

"Babe, you okay?"
"Y-yeah love, I'm fine. But I uh- I need to ask you something."

He stood up, taking my hand in his as he helped me stand as well.

"(Y/n), we've been through so much together. I've known for a long time that I love you, but it wasn't until what happened with Mitch that I realized just how deep that love ran. When he left us there, I was ready to give up, to do whatever I needed to to keep you safe; but looking at you, I remembered every moment we've been together, and I realized that- I don't want to spend another moment of my life without you."

Tears were already forming as I watched him kneel. He pulled the box out of his pocket, and with trembling hands, opened it to reveal the diamond ring. It was a simple cute, small diamond, and it was perfect.

"(Y/f/n), will you make me the happiest man in the world? Will you marry me?"

"Yes."