THE STRAIN OF PASSION Part 5

"Marlene, come on baby I'm sorry; please wake up."

"Sir, if you could just wait in the waiting room; we will be with you in just a few minutes."

"Okay, but be careful because she is pregnant."

"Yes Sir, we know. And we are going to do all we can to save the baby; still you will have to wait in the waiting room, until we call you."

"Sure, I'll wait, but let me know something don't just leave me out there for hours before you tell me anything at all."

"Yes, now go, so we can get started on your wife."

Dan waited for hours before he heard anything and the temptation he felt in his heart to just barged in the room and demand some kind of news; he had to ignore. He knew any kind of confusion could very well distract the doctors.

"After all it was just a little hit, she can't be dying." Dan thought to himself.

"Mr. Dan Spencer?"

"Yeah, what's happening?" Dan gasps for air.

"We did all we could, but your wife slipped into a coma, however, we did an ultrasound to examine the fetus and it shows your baby seems to be fine, you can go and see your wife now."

Dan walked slowly in Marlene's room hoping he hadn't harmed his wife and child.

"Baby please wake up, I'm sorry, please don't die, I am so sorry." Dan wept, shedding tears at her bedside. When her Mother walked in.

"Well, well ain't this a sight. Why aren't you in jail?"

"What,"

"Yeah, I rushed down here to see my child and the cab driver tells me you slapped my child in the street, and now you are in here crying over her like some whipped puppy. What are you crying for? this is, your handy work."

"Look Sarah, I didn't mean to hit Marlene like that, it was an accident."

"Oh yeah Dan, how do you accidentally raise your hand and hit somebody?"

Sarah Cummings, Marlene's mother one of the ones who had hoped the relationship ended a long time ago.

"Okay Sarah, you never liked me anyway and I don't like you either. So can you please leave me and my wife alone?"

"Hell no, so you can hurt my daughter some more."

"I told you, I didn't mean to hit her like that; it was an accident, why can't you believe me?"

"Because I know you, you are a dirty dog. You can't keep your hands to yourself. You rather knock on helpless women who can't defend themselves."

"Well, that goes to show you; you don't know everything, because I don't like hitting anyone, especially some one that I love."

"You fickle idiot, you call this love? You might as well have shot her instead of beating her to death."

"Sarah, I didn't beat her, I reached for her and she fell down on the pavement and hit her head. And I don't care what that cab driver said."

"I don't believe you, why would he lie? What can he gain?"

Sarah's bickering, got under Dan's skin, and to keep from quarreling over his wife hospital bed he just remain silent.