THE STRAIN OF PASSION Part 10

Dan went to call Marlene's mother who he felt would quarrel continually about her daughter, nonetheless he would rather Sarah oppose to the ambulance, because the ambulance meant police.

Marlene laid there until her mother arrived.

"Marlene, what happen?" No need, I know what happened."

"Dan and I got into it about me going back to work."

"I know, but this is how you settle your differences?"

"No, it was an accident and I didn't mean to hurt her like that."

"Always, I didn't mean it, what did you mean? Come on Marlene, you are going to the hospital. Now where is the baby?"

"He is in the bedroom, but I'll need you to watch him while Dan take me to the hospital."

Marlene's mother turn to look at Marlene and Marlene shook her head slowly not letting Dan see her but still letting her mother know she shouldn't leave the baby with Dan.

"I'm going to take Little Dan with me; and I will take Marlene to the hospital, you might need to go somewhere where the police can't fine you because if they ask me, I will not lie. The baby will be fine with us. Now get his wrap."

Dan did just what his mother-in-law asked of him and got the baby ready to go with them.

In the hospital the doctors wanted to know what happen; after Marlene's mother Sarah Cummings told the doctors about the fight the doctors called the police.

When the police came; Joan Summers over heard the dispatch call on her police radio and came to the hospital.

Joan Summers is a feminist activist who has fought a similar battle with her husband, however she lost her child during the battle and she as sworn against domestic violence from either spouse; and being that traditional laws restrict women to fight back their spouse and many have gone to prison for killing their spouse; Joan Summers has formed a program that help the wounded spouse to make a brake from their violent spouse and join P.O.D.V. Prevention of Domestic Violence a protective service that will take anyone out of the country if necessary. Joan was there before the police and waited for them to arrive; she followed the police to Marlene's room and waited for her chance to talk to the victim.

"Hello Mrs. Spencer, I'm Officer Ben Casey, I was wondering if you can tell me in your own words; what happen tonight?"

"Well, we were eating dinner and he suggested that I should go to work, but I told him childcare would charge too much and I would only be making enough to go to work and childcare, there wouldn't be any money left for bills and other things; and that's when he slapped me and he kept hitting me and kicking me, until I look like this."

"Thank you Mrs. Spencer, we will put out an A.P.B. out on Mr. Spencer, but I suggest you stay out of the house until we make an arrest."

"Officer, I will be here, after all, where am I going looking like this?"

"Ma'am, even if they release you from the hospital don't go home until we tell you we have Mr. Spencer in custody. And with these injuries I promise you he won't make bail."

"Don't worry officers she won't be going back there if I have anything to say about it. Hello Mrs. Spencer, My name is Joan Summers and I'm here to make sure this doesn't happen again."

"I know it won't because I'm never going back to him."

"That's good to hear. Now let's get started we don't have much time because you will get well any day now. I need to know all about you, your baby, your credit history and your family members."

"Well, that's my mother, but what else would you like to know?"

"Hello, Ms.?"

"Cummings, Sarah Cummings,"

"Okay Ms. Cummings, I'm Joan Summers, and I will be taking your daughter to a safer location, where Mr. Spencer can't find her.

"Now Mrs. Spencer, what all does he have access to?"

"Everything he is the soul provider."

"Do you have any money where we can set you up in an apartment of your own?"

"No, Mrs. Summers, Dan controlled everything."

"Well, we will have to place you in a home and change your identity."

"Is that possible?" Sarah wondered.

"Yes, now Mrs. Spencer, if you work with me and do as I say you won't be bothered by Dan Spencer again."

"Okay I am ready to start my life over again."

"Now you do understand it is absolutely essential that you do not contact anyone who knows you, not family or friends because if you do you will endanger the lives of the people that I will be placing you with."

"Yes I understand, but what about my mother? She is here now, and she will know what I am about to do."

"You don't have to worry about me dear; I know not to tell anyone about your whereabouts."

"Sure that's all well and good but you won't know either."

"Please, I have to talk to my daughter every now and then."

"I sorry but you can't know. Now if she had her own money then I could probably set you two up somewhere, but as it is she doesn't and I can't put other people lives in danger just so you can be together; now am I completely clear on this?"

"Yes," Marlene responded.

"Well I don't understand. Why can't you place both of us under this protection?"

"I'm sorry I can't, there is only room for Marlene and her baby.

Marlene I will call you on the details of your replacement, please be alone."

Sarah tipped of the hospital room to plot how she was going to see her daughter, if only she knew when Joan was going to call and let Marlene know where she was going. This meant Sarah will have to come and see Marlene every day just to find out where Marlene was going.

"I will just slip by every now and then just to see how she is doing, I won't even let on that I know or have seen her. Keep me from my child that woman is crazy." Sarah said to herself as she processes home to make her plans to learn where her daughter is going to be staying.

"Hello Ms. Sarah Cummings."

"Yes."

"This is Officer Ben Casey; I'm calling to let you know we have Mr. Spencer in custody. If you let Mrs. Spencer know I will be more then grateful."

"Yes, thank you officer, I will let Marlene know."

The following morning Sarah went to the hospital to let Marlene know the news about Dan.

"Marlene, I thought I ought to tell you that Dan has been arrested and I'm glad that Bum is behind bars."

"Mom, please, but that's great now I can relax a little and get some rest."

"You're right dear; you need to get your rest. I'll be back later to check up on you. Oh have you heard from Ms. Summers?"

"No I haven't yet, why?"

"Oh no reason, I was just wondering. Get some sleep dear."

ΥU