THE STRAIN OF PASSION Part 15

"No need to fear no one is going to find you here because everyone who knows you as Marlene is dead Ms. Cross.

Making my son grow up calling another man daddy; I should just kill you and let you join your mother.

"My mother, you killed her too?"

"Yeah and the stupid bitch Joan Summers too."

"You are crazy, a crazy mad man."

"You took my son from me, how did you think I was going act? Did you think I wasn't going to find you, Oh no you thought you and that Summers lady had me by the balls."

After Dan let Marlene know there was no one coming for her, Marlene nearly passed out, still there was no room to mourn, because everyone who knew about Marlene becoming Brenda Cross and being in a new town where her identity was kept secret, Marlene suspect the police would be after Brenda Cross for killing her new family, Marlene knew she was on her own and had to plan her escape and get her son out of Dan's grasp.

Meanwhile, Dan was getting hot because they were clenching so tightly, he became vicious and snatch the child from Marlene kicking and screaming and took him in the next room to play with him; however that only made the child more afraid of him.

While trying to calm the child down, Dan heard some noise in the kitchen and went to see what Marlene was doing in there, and there she was trying to slip out the door. Dan slammed Marlene down in the chair and while tying her up, her confidence made him thinks about how clairvoyant she is, thinking she might think she could actually try to escape.

"Don't move or try to get away because I will hurt you." Dan said and went back to play with his son but his son wasn't there anymore, however he didn't think he was in the kitchen so he must have went up stairs. But Little Dan had slipped in the kitchen with his mother and got her untied and they both slipped out of the kitchen window and Dan came tearing after them, but before he could get to them; four squad cars pulled up and cornered Marlene, however Dan thought they were after him so Dan ran, while Dan Jr. ran in a near by park. The police jumped out of the car and grabbed Marlene.

"Ms. Brenda Cross, you are under arrest for the murder of Bill and Mark Cross."

They put her in the squad car and Marlene didn't say a word until she was in the police station.

"Look I'm innocent; I did not kill Mr. Cross."

"Oh, well your neighbors seem to think you did. Where did you two meet and how is it that no body really knows you?"

"I was placed in Mr. Cross home under protective custody because of my deplorable husband, who found me and that murderous savage killed everyone involved with changing my identity or who ever were keeping me from him."

Marlene saw that the officer did not believe her.

"Look you can call Officer Ben Casey, he doesn't know me as Brenda Cross, but he does know me as Marlene Spencer, he can tell you what's going on."

Again the officer found it hard to believe such a bogus fairytale, so he sent another officer to check out her story alone with a picture. However when the officer came back the other officer could not let on that he was wrong so he approached Marlene in another way.

"Ms. Cross, did you know a Joan Summers and a Sarah Cummings?"

"Yes, Sarah was my mother and Joan Summers is the woman who put me in protective custody, which was Mr. Cross home. And Dan killed them both before he murdered Bill, and Mark."

"Why didn't you call the police instead of running?"

"I didn't run I was kidnapped. And my son and I was running from that barbarous monster, but you picked me up and lift my son out there with that criminal."

"Well did you know he also caused brain damage to an officer while trying to make his escape?"

"No, I didn't, but he is crazy, simply crazy."

"Ms. Cross, there is nothing simple about this man and we need to find this mad man, can you help us?"

"I don't know, but I'll try, just tell me what you need me to do."

Meanwhile, while Marlene and the police were working on their next move, Dan was combing the neighborhood looking for Little Dan, who hid in a nearby old cotton mill plant not far from where Dan, held Little Dan and his mother captive.

Marlene took the police back to the hide-out where her and her son was held captive, the police was disappointed not to find Dan but Marlene began to worry about her son and she just knew Dan had him.

"Well Ms. Cross, where do you think they went?"

"I don't know, but we have got to find him because I think he has my son and he might hurt him. And I don't want that mad man to influence his poisonous, venomous thoughts on my son."

"Isn't that his son also?"

"Sure, but that doesn't take from the fact that he is crazy! So your point is?"

"You are right, however, in most of these cases like this the suspect usually just kills the ones who keep them from their children, that is why I was surprised after reading the report; you wasn't dead also, because you were the one who went in hiding with his son."

"Again, your point is?"

"Yeah, okay, search the perimeter and find the malefactor, I want him captured now."

The police searched for Dan but instead they found Little Dan.

"Sir, we found the boy."

"Oh my baby, are you alright?"

"Yeah, but mommy I'm scared what's going on?"

"They're looking for your father."

"But Mom, Dad is dead, that man killed him."

"Okay baby, the man who is doing all of the killing is your father, and that is why he is acting that way because I took you from him; but only because he was so abusive to me and I couldn't let him hurt you like he was hurting me."

"Come with me Ms. Cross, I need you and the child to come to the station with me; I don't want anything to happen to either of you."

"There he is."

"After him, don't let him get away." The Captain said, but when he turns to take Marlene and Little Dan down town, they were gone.

"What happen to the kid and his mother?" The police was confused as to why Marlene left out of their protection.