THE STRAIN OF PASSION Part 17

As Marlene and Little Dan lay down she was more than happy to be in a nice warm and comfortable home, because even though Betty and Jack fought everyday they kept a nice home. Marlene was pleased with herself for making the move.

While during that same year Dan had his community eating out of his hands do to the love he mascaraed while doing for the people in town what every they needed he fix or showed them away to get what they wanted, and the people loved him.

Meanwhile, Marlene and Betty were being introduced to their new job as the store manger took both women around and showing them what is expected of them.

"Hello ladies; my name is Thomas James, and I'll be the one showing the ropes around here. Both of you will be cashiers, Ms. Spencer you will be on register four, and Ms. Patterson you will be on register six, and you will be responsible for its content during you shift. So report anything that may or may not be missing because every time you clock-in the amount of cash in the cash register will be the same; any questions?" The Manger asked while both women shook their heads no.

"Now let me tell you about our registers, this machine does everything for you, just press the bar-code against the system and it will transmit the price on the register. Now this little baby is an electric bluish-gray rays that radiate a ray of cold air to keep cold and frozen items cold. Therefore while calculating cold and frozen items you place them on here until you are ready to bag the groceries and the blue bags are for the cold and frozen items, are there any questions?"

"No, Sir we understand everything."

"Yes we've got a pretty good idea of what you want and expect of us, like I stated on my application I've worked in a fast mart before." Marlene responded with a smile, she was so glad to be working again.

"Well this is a little more then a fast mart store, you have more people shopping here and much more items that you will need to calculate. Nevertheless I am glad you know what to do now go and put on your uniform and let's get to work."

Time went by very quickly and Dan was really enjoying his life and began slowly forgetting about his purpose for staying in town, doing and caring for the town folk made Dan loose focus on Marlene and Little Dan; until one day, Little Dan went to meet his mother at the store where she was working so they could walk home together, however while waiting at a stop light Dan saw Marlene and Little Dan coming out of the corner market; Dan felt a strain of passion flowing through his veins tearing his heart out and the determination to love and kill has reclaimed it self. When the light turned green for Dan to go; Dan didn't move, until he saw Marlene and Little Dan turn the corner, he turn around in the middle of traffic to watch Marlene and Little Dan, while the other cars were bowing for him to move. But Dan stayed there until Marlene and Little Dan was out of sight. Dan pulled over and parked his car and got out to take a little stroll through the neighborhood in the same direction as Marlene and Little Dan.

"Mom, can you call something else besides Little Dan? I hate that name, what is my middle name, or do I have another name, besides Little Dan?"

"Baby there wasn't time to name you, I wished I had given you another name, but your father wanted you to have his name and at that time I was in love with him, I would have given him anything he wanted."

"And why you don't feel that way now?"

"I don't know, so much has happen and you saw what he did. How can I love a man like that?"

"But Mom, that's why I don't want to be called Little Dan, that's like saying, I'm like him. Isn't that's the reason fathers call their sons junior? That mad man is the only thing I know about him, my dad, I don't want anything from him, not even his name, he killed Mark, I can't get it out of my head. It is with me every night when I try to sleep."

"No, nobody has the right to take a life I don't care what the problem is and I did not want you to know him, because he became that way before you were born as a matter of fact he was the cause of you being born too early, darling you were premature."

"So why did you let him, name me after him?"

Marlene notices her son's silence and wondered what he was thinking.

"So Little Dan what do you want to be called? Tell me and I'll get it change right a way."

"I don't know, anything but Little Dan."

Marlene and Dan Jr. walked home and Dan followed them and saw where they lived.

"Okay that's where you guys are staying." Dan said as he watched Marlene and Dan Jr. walked in the house.

"Hi Betty,"

"Hi, why are you home so late?"

"Mr. James had me stacking boxes; he had a late delivery and I was the only one there, so I had to stay late."

"Oh, I'm sorry,"

"No, it's all good, because he is paying me eleven dollars an hour for the extra three hours."

"Marlene what's the matter, you seem antsy and you give me the impression it's not the job so what is it?"

"Oh nothing maybe I'm just winding down from work, or maybe I'm excited about buying a car, I saved up enough money to get a car and I want Jack to go and help me pick one out."

"Well when Jack gets home just ask him, I'm sure he will be glad to do it and we can stop walking to work, and the grocery, and the salon, and....."

"Okay Betty I get your point we need a car."

"So you are going to ask him?"

"Yeah, why not,"