Prologue

Seattle,
May, 1988

"Mum!" Called out an irritated high voice "Taylor spilt her milk again"
For an eight years old with an angelic face, the perfect smirk would have made the devil proud. Her twin, Taylor, looked like she mostly did, petrified.

"Oh Taylor!" It wasn't in adoration
"You silly silly girl!" Their mother continued as she wiped the yellow white liquid Taylor hated from the dinning table. Mum usually would have said something more and definitely less nicer if the table wasn't filled with Adult guests from their Eight birthday party.

"Maybe she doesn't like it" Aunt Martha chipped in ending the silence that Samantha had wrought with her claim-all-attention voice. Taylor was about to nod with vigour when her mum scoffed.

"She has no choice Martha, it's recommended by Doctor Weinger for her condition" Then to Taylor
"I'll pour another cup and if it doesn't spill down your throat this time, you'd be sorry"

Taylor didn't speak, but turned to her dinner. She hated when anyone brought up her condition especially in public. True, she wasn't as big as her twin, or pretty, or strong or sharp like Samantha. Taylor was paler, thinner, didn't run, swim or play all the school sports her sister partook in because she was weak.

Doc had a name for it but her family called it Taylor's condition. She heard her dad tell uncle John before that she survived miraculously in the womb. She was supposed to be still born but survived. Taylor liked to think herself a miracle baby though she didn't feel that way most of the time.

"I want more milk please" Said Samantha with her favourite Disney princess cup stretched. Taylor knew Samantha didn't like her milk either, she'd caught her drain a carton in the kitchen sink once.

"Yes Sammy dear. Look at your twin Taylor, she knows what's best for her. Talk of which, Sammy won her school another gold medal in the regional junior sprint competition."

That announcement made by their mother gained enough attention for the rest of the family birthday dinner . Every one had something nice to say to and about Samantha.
Well Taylor, She couldn't thrive under attention like her sister did, so she moulded into the background easily as she always did.

That should account for why she saw the boy first. He was in the background, well more precisely outside the kitchen window. From where she sat, she could see him clearly, and he was staring straight at her. She looked around her, everyone was busy eating and talking, with Samantha the centre of attraction.

She looked at the boy again, he looked lost and maybe hungry. He should be tall for his head to reach the window pane, he had midnight black hair that framed his face and fell down his left eye, he had the bluest of blue eyes Taylor had ever seen. He looked about Josh's age, 12 or so.
Taylor looked down her plate of macaroni and cheese.
She didn't like it anyway. She picked up her plate, timed her exit well and slipped out using the back door.

"Hello there

"Hello there. I have some Mac and cheese, I don't really like them, maybe you do. If you don't too, I can sneak some muffins and butter scones from the pantry for you" Taylor offered her plate to the boy that had been so shocked at her voice that he had ducked so fast it made her Cross-eyed.

"Don't be scared. I don't know how you got past security but I won't tell on you" Taylor pushed the plate towards the boy again.

He stood up fully to his height now, he towered above her and his stare intimidated her. Now that she saw him fully, he looked nothing like an hungry or poor person, in fact he looked very healthy and well dressed. Then it occurred to Taylor he could be dangerous.

"Taylor!" Samantha's voice came like a saving bell

"Taylor!" Samantha's voice came like a saving bell. Samantha would know what to do with a stranger in their backyard.

"Out here!" Taylor called back.
Samantha and their father stepped out the backdoor at the same time.

"Taylor what are you...?" Her fathers question trailed away.
Taylor watched her father's face drain of blood and mouth drop. He looked very terrified as he stared at the blue eyed stranger.

"I told you she was talking to a stranger" Samantha piqued smugly from behind him.

"Taylor, Samantha, go into your room this minute and don't come down till I say so" When he used that stern voice, even Samantha wouldn't object.
Taylor obeyed but not before she saw the lone tear that fell down her father's eyes.