12|The Blossom Key And A Grand Ball

"So have you found out yet?"  Taylor asked Olivia who was busy subjecting Taylor's honey coloured hair to a 1000 brush strokes

"I asked around but no one seems to know what is really going on Sam. But the hall is being cleaned and quite busy with preparations for the first time in a while. Yet Its not time for the Prince's Coronation" Olivia explained then finally dropped the antique comb.

Taylor's reflection stare back at her from behind the vanity mirror. Her face was getting paler from lack of sunrays. The normal weather in Ardelean seemed to be perpetually gloomy and cold....fit for vampires but not for her. Taylor had nagging premonition  of wasting away if she stayed any longer than she had. She continued to inspect herself for any obvious changes from being stuck in another world;
Her hair which still had the blond highlight's from aunty Sandy saloon, fell in cascading waves down her shoulder.
Coupled with the frilly nightgown and washed out face,  Taylor felt like a proper old fashioned ghost. She let out a heavy sigh. Wouldn't it be great to be a disappearing ghost rather than the forgotten wife of a vampire?

"What is wrong Sam?" Olivia asked gently from behind her.

"I want to go far far away from here" Was the yearning reply. When Olivia didn't reply, Taylor turned on the chair and clasped the girl's hand in between hers.

"Help me. Help me escape, Olivia. We can run away together" Taylor beseeched

"But that's impossible! There is no escape from Ardelean" Olivia exclaimed in a hushed whisper, trying to release her imprisoned hands. Taylor only held tighter.

"There has to be away. I remember Anghel visited I and my sister each year. If he can do it, I can too" Taylor's eyes pleaded desperately at her.

"The gates of Ardelean are only opened by the royals and the order.  They can never be used by any other person except.... Uh" she trailed like someone caught speaking of a taboo.

"Except?" Taylor pressed on.
Olivia shook her head and bent her head. Taylor squeezed her hands again

"Please, tell me"

"It's a dangerous idea. I wouldn't suggest you try it Sam" Olivia advised, shaking her head

"If there is a slight chance of me escaping this place, I want to know. I don't care about the dangers as long as I succeed"

"Well. Escaping from Ardelean is a serious matter Sam. If you are caught your fate will be 10 times worse than it ever will be. Are you sure you want to go along with it?" Olivia asked with a pinched, worried face.

"Yes. 100%, Olivia" Taylor replied earnestly.

"There is one way. The blossom key. It is said that the blossom key emerged from the soil the binding spell of Ardelean was first made; One to make all, one to end all. It is a powerful flower that only blossoms once every solstice eve.

The flower in full blossom is believed to be the only power that can weaken the protection spell and open the gates of Ardelean .
And it is safely hidden in the royal vault and  heavily protected by the Scarlett guards. Getting even  a feet near the vault is seen as treason and equal to
Immediate death without trial. So you see, apart from asking the royals themselves to open the gates, getting the blossom key is the only way yet it's equal to a suicide mission"

"When is the next solstice eve?" Was Taylor's reply after a brief pause.

"On the 25th. That's 10 days from now"

"Ah. look at that coincidence. Even fates don't want me here for long" Taylor said with a grin

"But didn't you listen. Going near the vault is seen as treason" Olivia pressed.