4 {Do So with Class}

Rebekah slams her phone down, infuriated by her brother. She quickly begins hanging streamers and blowing up balloons. She hears Hayley in the kitchen baking a cake, hopefully without too much trouble. And then she hears another pair of light footsteps and inwardly groans.

"Come out, come out, pet witch. I have far too much to do to be dealing with you too."

Edie appears in the doorway with a pouch in her hand that Rebekah eyed before redirecting her gaze to the uninvited guest.

"Could we please do this stand-off glare match another time, love. I have a party to plan for my darling niece who is at the mercy of my brother so the quicker I can finish the quicker I can put her out of her misery."

Edie remains quiet as she scans the books on the shelf. Rebekah harshly grabs her arm.

"Do you know what happens to curious cats?" Edie rolls her eyes at Rebekah's comment and makes Rebekah crumble to the floor, cradling her head in her hands. 

"Satisfaction brings them back," Edie completes the proverb as she plucks one of Kol's many stolen grimoires from the shelf and makes way for the door. Rebekah then stops her at the door.

"What do they say about thieves?" Rebekah huffs. Edie steps back and waits for Rebekah to move.

Rebekah looks at her expectantly but no pain comes to her. Edie glances down to the wound on Rebekah's calf.

"Why don't you just give him what he wants? Is all this pain worth your immortality?"

Rebekah became eerily silent. She kept her suspicions but slowly moved away from the door and sat on the padded chair with legs crossed and an air of elegance.

"Nothing is worth my immortality. Nothing was worth my immortality... But then that little ray of sunshine came into our lives and I thought that maybe my dreadful, awful existence could be worth while. I could be worth something more than the blood-sucking monster that I have lived as for over a thousand years. She is worth that much to me."

Edie paused and sat across from Rebekah with her toes pointed in and her elbows on her knees with the book sat in her lap. Two very different postures for two very different women.

"Why do you help him? Why do you give him what he wants?" 

"After my coven had all died and he showed up like a savior, I thought I had found a long lost father. Then your crone of a mother cursed me by magically linking me to him like the slave I now am..." As Edie trailed off, Rebekah interjected with her returned dominance.

"We felt your power. You are stronger than him. You could defeat him if you showed him the same force you showed when you threw us about like rag dolls."

Edie smirked as that was all just a show of force. That wasn't all her power or her will, and it wasn't all she was going to have.

"That's how I inadvertently killed a school house full of innocent children. Burned alive a hospital full of nurses tending to wounded soldiers and civilians. Drowned five teenage girls who were at the wrong place at the wrong time. I tried to help them, warn them, save them... Mikael is craftier and crueler with age."

"As for the magic, that's Esther and Dahlia's magic. They allow Mikael to control how I use it. If I decide not to help Mikael, all my power is drained from my being and I become a normal-charged six-hundred-something novice."

Edie gets up from her chair and places dogwood and sage on the wooden parlor table between them.

"For your wound. Helps with binding skin together," Edie explains to Rebekah's surprised reaction before she takes her leave with the grimoire held tightly against her chest.