Book 2 ➺ Fierce Little Thing

It felt like a blue flame encircled her  whole being, but almost as soon as the pain became unbearable, a quick flash of cold froze her nerves. It was a never ending cycle of blaze and ice.

She could see their faces through it all. Each one of them smiling at her torture and as much as she felt she was serving her atonement, the more she wished she had done enough to see him again.

She felt selfish for believing all her crimes could be solved by simply offering herself up to the ancestors, but every time the pain was encroaching on unbearable... She saw his smile. His devilish grin filled her mind and the intensity of the scorch seemed irrelevant. 

Then it ceased. It was unlike the chill to relieve her agony, but it was dark and all the faces vanished. She almost felt even more horrified as the abandonment meant she had no way of returning.

"Edith Anne."

She felt her spine stop communicating with her brain. She tried hard to run in any direction, but the voice that spoke her name was enough to nail her to the floor.

"Oh Edith Anne, you shouldn't have done that."

The second voice was even more chilling than the first. Edie knew these women and knew that whatever they had planned was worse than any punishment the ancestors could put upon her.

"Now Edith Anne, my husband was not the most admirable nor amicable, but did you really think you would be free from us with your little scheme?"

She now stared the two sisters right in the eye. She wanted to blink and then they would disappear, but sadly they were not a figment of her imagination or a trick sent by the ancestors.

"Since, you have decided to try and save our family, we thought we should grant you that one last pleasure."

Then Edie felt her body being pulled from her rooted feet and her body being stretched and torn into a seeming black hole.

When she opened her eyes, she stood before St. Anne's in the town she thought was a distant memory.

• • •

Hello, hello! So happy to continue this story and continue on Edie's journey!

The first chapter will be published the last weekend in January and then will be regularly updated every Saturday xx

Let me know what you are looking forward to!