20 {His Atonement}

Dahlia and Esther looked at the large group in horrow. Kol scrambled away from his mother and aunt towards Edie.

"Are you alright? Did they hurt you?" he frantically asked.

"I should ask you the very same!" she scolded before pulling him into her arms. Then they both turned to as a bright green light illuminated the small space and Kol quickly shielded Edie's eyes. When Edie peered from behind the jacket she saw Esther and Dahlia lying before the ancestors. Dead. Then her eyes locked with Kol.

"What? Did you really think I was going to sacrifice myself, again?" Edie bemused while stroking Kol's face. He burried his head in her shoulder and couldn't imagine letting her go. Just as he let up he looked over his shoulder just in time to see her.

Dahlia raised her hand and was whispering. A small blue light shot from her hand before she lie unconscious. Kol quickly intercepted the blow and felt his body begin freezing. Edie gasped. It all happened much too quick for her to react. 

She pulled Kol's face back so their eyes were square. While her were brimmed with tears, his were still calm with a hint of glee. She was holding his face like fine china. She yelled at the ancestors to help him. They had promised to not harm them if she helped.

"We cannot reverse what is done. We cannot reverse what is done."

Edie frantically looked down at her love dying and felt her chest squeezing tighter.

"It's okay, my Edith Anne. It was my turn to sacrifice myself for you," he smiled while stroking her hair before the hold on his thoughts slowly faded and ice bloomed over his face. Edie began screaming in agony at the sight before her, refusing to release him.

"The living must go back. The living must go back."

Before Edie could dissuade them she was in the mansion again, before all the Mikaelsons. She began screaming again. Klaus fell to his knees. Elijah knelt by Edith and tried to calm her while Rebekah buried her head in Marcel's shoulder. 

Hayley held onto Freya as her cries echoed through the hall. 

Soon, the mansion was put back together. It looked as if nothing had happened. Edie hated it. She stayed in Kol's room refusing to see anyone. No matter how much anyone pleaded with her, she couldn't bring herself to leave.

Marcel and Rebekah decided to move to Paris. Rebekah explained to her family she couldn't continue to remain in this house. Without Kol, it hurt too much. Hayley moved to Mystic Falls to be closer to Hope during her studies. Freya spent her days trying to win Keelin back. So far, Keelin had agreed to a date on Friday. Progress.

Klaus and Elijah were commuting between Mystic Falls and New Orleans. They had discussed many ways to get Edie to leave that room but they were running out of ideas. Finally, Klaus had lost his patience.

He barged in the door and almost lost his nerve. The woman he remembered wasn't sitting before him. She wore the same clothes as that day with a sullen face. She sat with her legs crossed and held them close to her chest. She looked so fragile that everything he thought he was going to do became lost. 

Elijah was there to stop him, but was surprised to see his hesitation. His very impulsive brother was frozen?

Klaus knelt down beside Edie and pulled her arms away form her face. Her dull eyes met his and he pulled her into his arms and carried past Elijah and down the stairs despite Elijah's protests. Klaus set her in front at the dining table and put a bowl of soup in front of her.

At first she just looked at it. Then she looked to Klaus who nodded and then she slowly picked up the spoon and began eating. She threw up half way through, but returned to the table to finish the whole bowl before returning to Kol's room.

Once the door closed, Elijah looked to Klaus with an inquisitive look.

"She needed to be reminded. Kol sacrificed himself for her to live. Not for her to wallow away in his room."

Elijah still didn't know where his sadistic brother had gone but the understanding one before him made him feel like he was right all along. Klaus was always worth being his brother.

Klaus shook his head, "don't look so surprised brother. Kol was the same way. You told him the same thing then. I am just borrowing your words."

Elijah smiled and his younger brother before clasping a hand on his shoulder.

And that's how the weeks turned to months. Slowly Edie came down for more and more meals. Keelin and Freya eventually started joining them. Soon enough, Hayley and Hope were joining them on holiday breaks. Finally, Marcel and Rebekah moved back and the mansion started giving off a warm glow. 

Edie was frying some eggs while Rebekah was giving a souffle a try. When Edie heard Rebekah curse for the fifth time, she turned around and couldn't help but laugh at her. More than a thousands year on this Earth and she still couldn't properly use a measuring cup.

Rebekah was glaring at Edie, who held her hands up defensively when Freya came running into the kitchen with a thousand watt smile.

"Bekah, Edie! It's happening! She did it!"

Before they could ask anymore questions they saw the huge diamond wrapped around her ring finger. Both of them rushed over to the other side of the counter to gawk at the ring. Rebekah was already twenty steps ahead discussing wedding plans with Freya. 

Edie's smile didn't quite reach her eyes. She silently exited the house and began swinging on the porch and breathing in the fall leaves. Then Klaus suddenly appeared next to her. He looked a bit frantic and she chuckled at his disheveled appearance. He seemed less bemused and more bewildered.

Edie inquired about his slightly odd entrance, but he refused to elaborate. He simply urged her to follow him. She looked at him questionably, but couldn't exactly deny him. She climbed into her black convertible while Klaus quickly sped towards the other side of town.

Edie felt the city blur with orange, red and yellow. She didn't even notice the engine stop. Klaus hurriedly exited the vehicle while Edie just wanted to enjoy the breeze. Then she stopped short at the cemetery entrance. Klaus was then before her. She looked into his eyes looking for something. A glimmer of something. Then she was pulled out oh her thoughts with Marcel waving her over.

Her feet weren't exactly listening, but instead she felt like she was floating between the graves. Finally she turned the last corners of crypts to see him. Kol Mikaelson.

Edie quickly ran to him and couldn't ever imagine letting him go. 

"But how are you here? I though they couldn't reverse it?"

"The little witch owed me after she tried to kill you in her cabin for a crime you did not commit. Fair exchange I say," Kol smirked. Edie smile up at him and quickly pecked his lips.

"Let's go."

"Where will we go?"

"New York. I'm going to buy an apartment. I'm going to complain about your family and watch midnight news with you for as long as we both shall live," she smiled up to him with a look so resolute.

"I'm going to make fun of your hazelnut coffee addiction and pretend I like your cooking for as long as we both shall live," he responded.

And in that moment they were both beaming at each other. Edie then started up the black convertible and rested her hand on his. She wanted to feel Kol's hand to remind herself that everything she had ever hoped for was in her grasp. 

Then the autumn wind blew her hair back and Kol saw her care-free smile and he squeezed her hand back. Now, he too, had everything he ever hoped for in his grasp.

• • •

That's a wrap!

I hope you all enjoyed it! Please give me a comment or a vote if you enjoyed~ Thank you so much for enjoying this story with me as much as I did. 

Lots of love, Apple of the Eye