19 {Foolish Things}

Freya quickly started brewing a spell to protect the house. Kol and Klaus had finished securing the house for Ellesia's arrival. Marcel and Rebekah were out preparing New Orleans to ensure no extra casualties. Hayley intercepted Marcel and Rebekah at the door upon their return.

"Any sign of Keelin?" she asked tentatively whilst looking towards the kitchen where Freya had remained since returning form the chambre de chausse. Rebekah shook her head while Marcel went to join Klaus in the foyer to discuss worst case scenarios.

Freya looked up to see her sister standing in the doorway. 

"Need any help with that?"

Freya shook her head and quickly looked to the spell book. She was trying so hard to be useful. All her pride had fallen and worst of all, the love of her life was long gone. 

Rebekah started shuffling spices not knowing what to say when her younger brother appeared in the doorway.

"Need any help with that?"

To this, Freya couldn't help but look into his eyes and guilt flooded her irises.

"Could you help me with the spices?" 

Freya gave a small apologetic look to Rebekah who mischievously shuffled what was in her hands and gave her sister's arm a small squeeze before scurrying out of their way.

"If you are making a protection spell, I'd think you'd better add some wormwood since you've already ground so much ginger," Kol smirked slightly while wading through the mess on the counter.

Freya nodded absently while reaching for the chamomile flowers. Kol tutted her hand away.

"You may be the best witch in this family, but I definitely am starting to think had I been able to reach my full potential, I would have been able to surpass you easily by now. Here. I'll shave the wormwood while you read off ingredients, agreed?"

Freya nodded again before slowly stirring what was in front of her again while glancing at the book. She was losing focus and the ability to breathe with him there. 

"Okay, okay," Kol took a hold of her trembling hand. "I'm not going to bite your head off, as much as I might have threatened to do so. You need not fear, dear sister. I'm keeping my hands to myself."

"Kol, how do I-"

"Now, let's not focus on the past. It seems we both have made errors in judgment. Trust me, I am very used to making mistakes. Therefore, the one person who can best help you with fixing yours is offering their services with only a small condition. An apology and a promise."

Freya didn't need to elaborate. Apologize to Edith for initially trying to kill her and then subsequently believing the worst in her. Promise to never do either of those things again. Simple.

Freya smiled towards her brother. Kol returned it and vowed in his head to ensure her smile to grow twice that size before this whole escapade is over. Suddenly the shutters started to creak and the doors began to slam. 

"She's here."

Klaus and Marcel frantically locked down the house while Freya and Kol sped up on the potion.

Rebekah and Hayley both stood over Elijah and Edie, wishing they both would come out soon.

"So, that's what this has been about," Elijah remarked. 

Edie nodded slowly. She looked to Elijah and wished he would understand why she had to keep this a secret. 

"What I don't understand is why you always seem to be helping us, Edith Anne. Especially now. Before you were fueled by the hate of our father. Fair. However, after the knowledge of our attempt to vanquish you, well, I am a bit confused."