17 {Play Without Rules}

Bonnie wasn't getting anything out of Edie and it had been over hours.

"You know you are not great at this, right?" Edie antagonized. Bonnie groaned at the comment but she was running out of ideas. She didn't want to use the devil's star, but she was running out of options. 

Bonnie needed to know exactly what Edie had done. Every detail so she could deduce whether to fix it or allow it to continue it's course.

"Why do you want to know about equivalent exchange?"

Edie was ready to hold out again. Deny it. However, Bonnie had changed from her advantageous stance before to one of exasperation. Somehow, Edie felt for this young witch in this small moment.

"I think I can exchange my magic for something but I need to know exactly how much and the correct words..."

Bonnie almost dropped the death star in her hands form shock at this revelation. She decided not to pry. Prying was not how to get through to this witch. Bonnie knew Edie was an old witch, but she was starting to see just how old she was. Edie was the kind of old that had seen history unfold and had experienced the whole spectrum of emotion. 

"So, you need to exchange your magic... Okay, but first it's not really a spell. It's more like an internal acknowledgment. Since you are exchanging your energy for something else it needs to be really intimate."

"Have you ever attempted?"

"I've only ever heard the stories because the one time I tried I almost lost all my magic."

They stayed silent for a minute.

"I killed Finn Mikaelson."

Bonnie dropped the devil's star. Edie leaned her head back against the cool bars behind her. She couldn't believe it either.

"Why?"

"He wasn't him. The witches I'm dealing with... They just made an imitation without all of him. The real Finn was basically disturbed from an eternal peace out of vengeance. I just hope all him was returned to that peaceful resting place."

Edie became really contemplative over her actions. Where had Finn gone? Had Kol seen him? What would Kol think? She hadn't really thought about it until after admitting what she had done.

Bonnie stared at the woman before her and felt a surge of camaraderie. She undid the chains. Edie rubbed her wrists but remained sitting on the cold floor. Bonnie realized how drained this witch was from her former facade. 

That's when Klaus and Kol came up to the Mystic Falls sign. Klaus stopped just short of entering the small town and grabbed his younger brother quickly.

"We need to re-think this. I know you trust her and I trust you. But just in case the Edie you love is not here, we need to be prepared."

Kol was about to roll his eyes, but then something crossed his mind. Klaus dying just like Finn and he looked deep into his brother's eyes and felt a surge of pain in his chest. He just nodded and they made a last minute stop at the institute.

Klaus slowly knocks and suddenly the door springs open so quickly he loses his balance before the blonde beauty.

"Caroline, I-"

"To what do I not owe the pleasure?"

Klaus smirks at her apprehension and waltzes into the institute pretending to come on the false pretenses of checking the condition of his daughter's future school. Caroline shakes her head and demands the truth. 

Just then, Kol picks up on Alaric's voice describing 'an ancient witch that has a nasty temper' to someone and he flies up the stairs towards the voices and barges through the door to see both a shocked Damon and Alaric. Kol throws Damon into the nearby desk and then slams Alaric against the wall.