14 {Saddest Hymnal}

Kol and Edie are sat in a hotel room watching TV with three empty wine bottles strewn across the floor.

"So, is this how you spent your days when you were upset?" Kol pondered while stroking the porcelain arm of the most amazing woman he had ever met.

Edie chuckled and revealed how relaxed this all seemed for her. She liked the normalcy of it all. And Kol couldn't agree more. When Edie mentioned they should probably go meet his family, Kol quickly refused. He didn't want to meet those ingrates. Edie tried to assuage his anger to no avail. 

Just as she was about to press the stroppy vampire further, smoke began to seep underneath the hotel door. Kol jumped up from the bed and fazed to the door. Edie was alert and positioned herself against the opposite wall. 

One. Two. Three. 

Kol burst the door open to only find a burning sage and note left on the door mat. He looked up and down the hall, but saw no one. He affirmed with a nod that no danger was there before Edie slowly approached the note.

It was written on an odd-colored parchment that would only belong to someone of high rank. The smell of sage soon filled the room and Edie suddenly felt faint. She was seeing something else. Somewhat like a movie playing before her where she was the protagonist. 

Then she knew.

"It's Dahlia and Esther."

Kol stared wide-eyed at the woman before him. He just nodded as the tears steamed down her face. She remembered everything. The burning, the sage smoke spiraling through the air as they chanted and the screams. The echoing, harrowing screams as the ancestors were banished. It was all coming back to her.

They remained silent for a few moments.

"So, they hijacked the séance?"

Edie took some deep breaths. 

"They needed the power to resurrect him."

Kol swallowed the lump building in this throat. It was impossible for it to be their father so it must be...

"Finn."

Edie collapsed to the floor with Kol quickly moving to her side, but Edie wasn't upset. She was so indescribably angry. The ancestors were going to let her go. They had released her and then, once again, the Mikaelsons had ruined her life. She was looking to Kol and he couldn't read her face but he could feel her rage from her stare. 

He knew to an extent that his comfort was not what she wanted. He looked to the floor and then slowing began clearing up. He looked back to see her glaring into space and slowly approached the door.

"You don't have to go," she called to him. She half-meant it. She didn't want to push him away. She knew it was not his fault, she was just trying so hard to not fall into what had been indoctrinated into her for the last centuries whilst running around the world with Mikael. He had told her that the Mikaelsons only look out for the Mikaelsons. They destroy any opposition. Kol had proved otherwise, but now... It seemed like it wasn't enough. If she wanted a true normal life, maybe Kol wasn't meant to be a part of it.

Kol could see her struggling with her own words so quickly kissed her cheek then fazed back to the door with his bag in hand.

"I do. I love you, Edith Anne. Because I love you, I have to go."

She didn't look up as he closed the door behind him.

Back at the manor, a quiet hush had befallen them. Klaus was in his study. Rebekah was somewhere gallivanting about New Orleans. Elijah silently waiting for Kol to return.