8 {Save Me from Myself}

Edie gathers her strength and steadies herself against the alter.

"Now, now, my little witch. I know you wouldn't have been fraternizing with the enemy again today. Not so soon after you were just scolded," Mikael tutted as Edie tries to stand before him.

"I know you are planning to kill me, I just didn't think you would side with those roguish maniacs to do so."

"Then I guess all your propaganda was useless."

Mikael swiftly stands but two centimeters from her face and Edie tries to remain eye contact.

"You do know I can access your power even when you are dead. I keep you alive because dragging around a corpse is laborious for a soul but should I learn that my no-good-offspring have decided they won't consecrate your power once you are gone then I will have no reason to keep you alive."

Edie held his gaze and didn't falter.

"Then I guess you are lucky they want to revive me and save those four girls to help gain the ancestors favor then."

Mikael then stalked circles around her with a chuckle.

"How does it feel, little witch? I could've told you a Mikaelson only looks out for a Mikaelson. Does it sting your cold heart to know that the one you adore will fight against you when all is said and done?"

Edie remained silent. She knew what he was trying to do and it wouldn't work.

"I mean two of them came to kill but I saw no sight of my third deranged son anywhere. Guess he decided to let you die for the greater good."

Edie sighed at his effort. She had asked Kol to let her die. She wanted to be happy Kol respected her wishes. However, she had hoped he would at least come see her. She hoped he knew that she needed him there when she died because she wanted to reassure him that he was going to be okay. Maybe he didn't need her reassurance, maybe he would be just fine without her.

"In case you felt the need to conspire with them again, maybe you should ask yourself if they would do the same for you."

Edie reeled away from him and his maniacal laugh echoed against the stain glass and he sauntered off through the doors.

Klaus and Elijah wander back into the mansion and are met with the curious eyes of Rebekah and Hayley. Freya had gone to meet with Vincent to try and make a deal with him about tapping into some of his High Witch magic.

Klaus looks to Rebekah to silently ask the status of their younger brother to which she shakes her head. She has not seen or heard from him since they had left. 

Klaus set the empty cup of tea on the table and Rebekah and Elijah sat across from it while Hayley went to go check on Hope.

"So, why didn't you kill her, Nik? All your berating of Kol made me think I was going to have to drive a dagger through his heart to keep him from killing all of us after you had finished the job."

"I was wrong."

Both Elijah and Rebekah became silent and their faces stoic. There had been only a handful of times their brother had every admitted to his faults and when he did, then never knew quite how to handle him.

"I can see why you both saw something in her. Something I persuaded you to ignore. I don't know if I trust her, but I know I don't want to kill her. I don't know why or how she did it, but I don't want her dead."

"So, does this mean we aren't killing her?"

"On the contrary," Elijah interjected, "we are still going to kill her, we are just going to feel great remorse for doing so."