12 {Best You Had}

Two figures stand above her with a misty gray haze covering their faces. Edie squints to get a better view only her vision never focusses. She reaches a hand out to touch them, but to no avail. She soon realizes she is in a vivid dream and tries to manipulate the haze to reveal the two shadowy figures, but to no avail.

Then, just as she thinks the haze is clearing. The two mutter some sort of chant and Edie wakes with a jump.

Kol rolls over and wraps an arm around her waist and pulls her into him. She feels so surreal. Like she woke up from one dream and into another. She runs her hand lightly over his forearm and bumps slowly rise after her touch. He groans with a mischeivous grin before pulling her waist to lay her directly on top of him.

"Five more minutes. I need to ready my mind that this is reality, Edith Anne," he smirks.

She blushes at his words and their position. She hesitates before quickly placing a peck on his lips. 

His smile widens and he slowly opens his eyes.

"You feisty little thing," he quips before sitting up so they sit face to face.

Edie is so unsure of herself now. Before was different because she knew she was going to die and now, she knew she wanted to stay alive which made everything seem so complicated.

"I know that face. Tell me, is my handsome face really the cause of such deep thought? I can assure you, it is still as handsome if not more so since the last time you saw me," he beams and Edie pushes his shoulder with a scoff.

"Well then if it is not about my handsome face then it must be something important, so tell me," he challenges while bringing her body closer to his.

"Something in my dream... I can remember everything else in my dream vividly, except for one thing," Edie responds while playing with the hem of his shirt.

Kol doesn't know what he can do to help her. They had promised the leaders they would solve the mystery of their missing ancestors in exchange for her life. She had shown so much confidence then, he didn't want to dissuade but the vulnerability she showed him now made him all the more anxious.

"Well no use trying to remember on an empty stomach," he breaks while pulling them both up to their feet.

They make their way towards the kitchen where it seems the whole family had gathered.

"Now, if it isn't our savior, back from the dead," Klaus smirks while raising a glass of red towards the ceiling.

Edie looks around the room to see the entire family lest Hope gathered about the dining table.

Hayley and Elijah sat beside each other looking regal as ever. Rebekah sat beside Elijah with Marcel protectively resting his hands on the back of her chair. Then Klaus stood at the head of the table next to Freya. 

"We are glad we didn't have to wait an eternity for the ancestors to rule your atonement paid in full," Rebekah smiled widely while quickly phasing to Edie's side and hugging her tightly. 

Rebekah must not have had much contact with fragile beings recently because her grip was incredibly strong. Kol quickly caught Edie before she fell. Rebekah smirks at Kol's tuts for almost knocking his treasure to the ground.

"I guess I don't know my own strength," she teased while lightly squeezing Edie's arms before returning to her chair.

As Edie approached the set of chairs opposite Elijah and Hayley, Kol pulled out her seat and as she sat she caught all their eyes.

She felt an overwhelming feeling of belonging. They seemed to have been feeling it too. She looked to Kol and could never imagine the hurt he had felt all during this time. She squeezed his hand as he took his place next to her. Once Freya sat next to Edie and Marcel took the opposite end seat. The whole family had assembled.