2 | indirect

LUNCH CAME BY SLOWER than expected.

I was able to keep to myself the entirety of the day, up until lunch when I had to go through the process of taking my food and finding a place to hide and be alone. Unfortunately, the line was long when I had to walk all the way from Physics to the cafeteria. I stood in line, my earphones being the barrier between me and everyone else. I was about to grab for a tray when I felt someone tap my shoulder lightly, and I turn my head to come face-to-face with Daniel—once again. Yay.

"I'd suggest you don't eat the food here," he whispered, "come here." He gestured for me to follow him, but I only stood there, staring at him with a confused and slightly irritated look. He exhaled before gripping my wrist, pulling me to wherever he was going. I was hesitant when following him, occasionally slowing down my pace, causing him tug my arm until I decided to snatch my arm back, stuffing them into the pockets of my jacket, but still following him.

"Where are you—" He hushed me. I furrowed my brows, now incredibly annoyed with how long this walk was taking until we left the school building. He led me towards the garden, ducking his head and pushing a few vines out of the way until he revealed the secret garden. Different types of flowers grew around the area, surrounding a single bench that looked worn out. A few bees flew here and there, and a tree grew by the walls, creating shade for half the area.

It was beautiful.

"Why did you take me here?" I asked in the best unaffected voice I could muster.

"Oh, I have pizza," he said, lifting up a box of pizza, "cafeteria food is never great." I only nodded, accepting a slice from the box and sitting at one end of the bench while he sat across from me. It was silent between us, but Daniel didn't like that and so, he initiated a conversation—much to my dismay. "So where did you move from?"

Just answer, he offered you free pizza. "Ontario."

"And you were still able to attend a school in your last year?" He asked, taking a bite out of the pizza.

"I'm holding a 4.2 GPA," I answered with a shrug, "it wasn't hard." I looked around the garden, finishing up the slice of pizza before taking a sip from my bottle.

"Oh crap, I forgot– would you mind if my sister joined us? She's usually here first but she had a test..." He trailed off, waiting for a response. I only shrugged. Right on cue, a blonde girl entered through the vines, stress prominent on her face.

"First day and there's a test, what the actual—"

"Ahem," Daniel cleared his throat, sending a warning look to her before casting his eyes onto me for a brief moment. "Anna, meet Logan. Logan, this is my little sister, Anna." I raised my hand to send a brief wave, not wanting to shake her hand as mine were oily from the pizza.

"Oh, you were the one that was rude to him in History, right?" She asked, but her tone wasn't rude, instead amused. "It's funny because he has this face that most people can't get mad at, props to you, girl."

"Thanks... I guess?" I responded unsurely. She sent a quick smile, grabbing a slice of pizza and sitting between the two of us. Once again, silence filled the air with the exception of birds in the trees.

"Where do you live?" Anna asked suddenly, breaking the peace.

"Lockwood Complex," both Daniel and I said, and I rose a brow towards him as the tips of his ears flushed red.

"I, uh, delivered pizza to her place," he awkwardly included, avoiding eye contact and bit his pizza, stuffing his mouth to keep from saying anything else.