17 | beach

HE ENDED UP GOING home after the movie, but I was asleep when he did. I only woke up to a note taped onto my forehead, saying:

Thanks for the movie night, can't believe you slept through the creepiest part –your boy daniel

"You didn't have to tape it onto my face," I grumbled, tossing it onto the table and rubbing my face. I shut my laptop off properly, closing it and found Ellie sprawled up beside me. Petting her, I thought about last night. I remember Daniel coming to my door, and telling me how Kenna got sick or something, and then we watched a movie. I don't remember when, but apparently it was at the scariest part of the movie did I fall asleep.

I hazily remember hearing my door shut at some point and the space beside me went cold.

Daniel came to you when his date didn't show up. And that's supposed to mean something? I'd do that if I got ditched honestly, to just have a friend in general.

He could've gone to anyone, but he chose you. Still don't know how that's a big deal. "Ellie, you hungry?" She purred against my touch, stretching before blinking her eyes open and mewed. I stood up and headed to my room, filling her bowl with water and food before making my own. I didn't know what time the beach thing was, but I showered nonetheless.

I was in my towel, re-tying my hair up in its bun since it was going to get wet anyways and I didn't want to waste my shampoo, when Daniel had called. "When are we going?"

"Well, Anna and I are ready to go, but we need to get gas for the car," he explained, "did you already register for Ellie's day in the animal shelter's daycare?"

"I already did last night, and the reservation is—" I checked the time on my phone "—thirty minutes, so I'll probably be ready then?" He agreed, before we hung up and I quickly put on my swimsuit, pulling on a mesh top and black shorts, slipping on a pair of black slip-ons and placing my sunglasses on my head. I made sure to bring the sling-bag filled with my personal necessities, before I carried Ellie into her carrier.

I had to pack myself some snacks for the road before Daniel had arrived, and Anna settled in the backseat—despite my protests. "Don't worry, I'll watch Ellie," she assured, using that as an excuse to be in the back. I couldn't argue, so I went along with it and sat beside Daniel in the passenger's seat. "By the way, I like your cover-up."

"Thanks, it was lying around and I never knew the use of it 'til now," I told her, and she smiled, nodding. The drive was quiet, since it was still quite early in the morning and Anna had fallen asleep in the backseat when we arrived at the animal shelter. I handed Ellie to the nurse, and they assured me that she'll be well-taken care of while I'm gone for the day, and we were back on the road.

"Do you want to stop for some breakfast?" Daniel asked, and I nodded, checking my wallet. "Pancakes or waffles?"

"Waffles," I answered, counting my money. I had enough for the day, with a few extra dollars. I faced Daniel, "How long will we be there?"

"Why?"

"No particular reason really," I told him honestly. "I have an assign—"

"Logan, I swear, if you bring up school today, I will drop you here and you'll walk home," he warned, his tone playful. "And when you're at the beach, you're supposed to have fun, you know? It's warm, the water's nice and you're with your friends."

"When I could be at home, in my room and free WiFi?" I teased. "You know me, and you know fun isn't really something I'm an expert at."

"Do you enjoy being alone and lacking a social life?" He asked, sarcasm laced in his tone and I sent him a glare. "I mean, do you enjoy being alone where no one will talk shit about you?"