13 | kitten

YOU COULD SAY I spent the rest of my morning trying not to hurt anyone physically. Blaire's group had stayed to scope out the school, and the football team's practice, and I had to avoid her completely. I've dealt with her during middle school and half of high school, I was grateful when she left during junior year, and it sucks that I have to run into her again.

I was only grateful that it would be for Spirit week anyways.

"Did you guys see Blaire Lawson?" Anna rushed into the garden; she looked shocked and... starstruck? I'd understand why because Blaire is quite well-known because of her father's reputation as an award-winning lawyer, and businessman. She, herself, had earned many modeling offers from some of the top agencies in America, and was rumoured to be offered a role in a movie. She's "somewhat" of a celebrity. "Her Dolce Gabbana heels looked amazing."

"Anna," Daniel coughed into his hand, before indiscreetly pointing his finger at me who was fuming, currently crushing the turkey out of my sandwich. "Logan and Blaire have a history."

"I'm guessing by how you're murdering your sandwich that it wasn't a good one," she winced, "my bad." Not wanting to waste my sandwich, I took a bite out of what I had created, chewing harshly. "I'm guessing her beauty is only skin deep?"

"You have no idea," I muttered, rolling my eyes at the thought of the she-beast. "Spirit week ends with homecoming, right?" They both nod. "Does Acadia join in with the school or do they mind their own business?"

Daniel shrugged, "Our school's huge, and because we're both allies and enemies—frenemies with Acadia, they'd usually come to our school for homecoming, and we celebrate who won the game."

"That's so fucking stupid," I uttered, cringing, "They're a private school, right? Why don't they rent out a mansion or something? Mind their own damn business and use their overpriced school fee for something other than clinging to a public high school." Anger was rising within me, I ignored the two of them as they stared cautiously at me, as if afraid I was going to explode.

"I'll only have to deal with her for a week, I can... I can do that," I told myself, nodding as I took another bite from my ruined sandwich. "I'm calm, perfectly calm."

"She needs happy therapy," Anna stage-whispered to her brother.

"Happy therapy?"

"Yeah, therapy to be happy," she said matter-of-factly.

"I'm incapable of being happy," I answered bluntly. Daniel then cocked his head to the side, raising a questioning brow towards me before he pulled his phone out. "I swear if you show me a picture of whatever you took on Saturday, you can say goodbye to whatever this friendship is, Seavey." I warned.

"Okay, I won't but you are capable of being happy and I'm lucky to have witnessed it," he grinned, placing his arms on his hips in a triumphant stance. "And therefore, I will be taking you to the animal shelter again, but before that, call your mom."

"What—"

"Just call her!" He snapped, before grinning. Rolling my eyes, I dialed her number and waited patiently.

"Mom?"

"Hello sweetie and yes you may adopt that kitten, Daniel told me briefly when you were changing out of your dress Saturday night, and told me to wait until you called during this week, just promise you'll take of her," my mom explained before I could get another word out, "if that's all, I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Okay—" I uttered before she hung up. "Why? Just why?"

"The correct is: why not?" He smiled wider, his smile contagious, but I bit the insides of my cheeks to keep from smiling, and looking away. He's slowly making me see the brighter side of the world and as much as I wanted to hate him for it, I couldn't.