29 | trouble

AN UNIDENTIFIED FEELING WASHED over me the second Daniel's lips were pressed against mine. I wasn't sure whether I was shocked, mad or confused. His lips were still on mine, and his eyes were closed, while I was staring back at him. It finally dawned on me that he was kissing me, that I lifted my hands and pushed him off of me. "Dude, what the hell?!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't know what I was thinking," he muttered, "I just... I'm sorry."

"The first time was fine because the situation—well, wasn't that necessary, but I understand why you did it, but now, no," I shook my head. "Okay, uhm... I'll go—" I glanced at him for a moment "—yeah, okay, bye." Quickly standing up, I headed downstairs before bidding goodbye to his mother and Anna, and sat in my car in their driveway trying to collect my thoughts.

The first time he kissed me, I didn't feel anything, it was only lips on lips—I did feel somewhat flustered because it was my first kiss, but that was it. This kiss wasn't like that, it was different– it felt different. I'm not able to describe it, but my heart is racing and my palms are sweating. My breathing is erratic with simply thinking about it.

It wasn't just a kiss, my mind echoed. Then what was it? Did it have some sort of meaning behind it? What was Daniel thinking when he did it? Why did he even do it? I have this list of questions that need to be answered, but I'm still shocked that I can't go back inside and demand answers.

Putting the car in drive, I rid my head of the thoughts and questions, driving back home. I dragged my legs, feeling a sudden weight fall upon my shoulder as I trudged down the hallway and towards the apartment. Pushing it open, I found my mom and Marissa by the peninsula, talking with a cup of hot chocolate between their hands. "Mom?"

"Logan, hey," she smiled. It was like the light from before the disaster had come back into my mom's face, and she was glowing with happiness. Marissa too, and I couldn't help but smile at the sight of the two sitting across from one another, talking calmly like how they used to. "Where did you go?"

"Uhm... Daniel's, just dropped off his Christmas gift," I told her, keeping my tone calm. "I'm heading to bed a little early, is that alright?"

"Oh, I was hoping you'd join us for dinner," she frowned. I wanted to decline and tell them that they could go ahead without, and that I'll simply order something, but they just made up and it wouldn't be too bad for me to eat with them, knowing that we'd probably go back to acting like a family.

"Oh alright, then I'll head to the showers to get ready," I told her, and mom sent me a grateful smile with a nod.

"Wear something fancy!" She called out. I let out a muffled groan, not wanting to put on a dress or a skirt. "No jeans!"

"Alright!" I hollered back, entering my room. I searched through my closet, trying to find something that was fitting for dinner. Why couldn't we find dinner at some fast food restaurant? Why does it have to be some place fancy? I grumbled under my breath strings of profanities as I pulled out a black silk tank top that was held up with thin straps. Pairing it with a leather pencil skirt and a pair of flats, I grabbed a towel and headed to the bathroom for my shower.

Once I was done with the shower, I blow-dried my hair before curling it into large waves, and proceeded with my makeup; neutral eyes and a mauve pink lipstick before pinning one side of my hair to the back. I put on my outfit, slipped the flats on then grabbed my purse, stuffing it with essentials.

"Logan, you ready yet?" Mom asked, and I assured her I'd out in a second. I refilled Ellie's food and drink, giving her a few strokes on her back and a kiss on her head before leaving my room, following mom and Marissa into her car. The drive was quiet, and I looked over to see that mom's hand was holding onto Marissa's, while the other was on the steering wheel. My lip quirked up at the sight. I liked seeing my mom happy, now that I'v witnessed her happy and heartbroken, it was a good look on her and Marissa. Seeing Marissa in front of me that day was like seeing my mom, but her emotions were shown.